Remember me
Lost Password Register

Beginner equipment recommendations?
08-28-2003, 01:04 PM,
Beginner equipment recommendations?
I am currently doing a lot of research regarding SCUBA and would like your opinions regarding a good set of mid-range starting equipment. I plan to dive in both the local lakes and warmer waters like Cozemel, Bonaire, etc... I am very new to SCUBA so I am not sure what specialties will pique my interest at this time, though cavern and wreck diving seem interesting.
I would also like to hear equipment/hype/fads I should stay away from. Reasons would be immenseley helpful. For instance...Split fins; great for straight shots, but due to 'vortex' action, they kick up a lot of silt and crud so they are poor for local lake diving and caverns, etc.
In a former life I was a lifeguard, swam competitively and grew up on a lake.
I understand what works for one person may not be right for another so please try to keep that in mind. Wink
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
08-28-2003, 01:19 PM,
Re:Beginner equipment recommendations?
If you think you want to dive in local lakes, don't just buy the cheapest warm water reg you can find. Remember, a good cold water reg will function well in warm or cold water. Buying a cheap reg now will just be a waste of money when you need to upgrade. I would recommend any model of Apex regulators. Aqualung also makes a couple well priced cold water regs. The Glacia is a good example. Try to rent any gear before you buy. I know GUDC has almost their whole product line covered in their rental section. As far as BCD's go, you'll have to see what fits you the best. I like back inflation BCD's best because they orient you properly while diving. Jacket style BCD's tend to squeeze you when inflated.
08-28-2003, 01:19 PM,
I do hundreds of more breath hold dives than I've ever done scuba dives but one thing I really like when I scuba is a good field of vision mask. Unlike my low volume freediving masks I really enjoy the field of view my Cressi Big Eyes affords me. I'd recommend that mask to anyone as long as it would fit them good. You can easily look down and see stuff at chest level. You can get correcting lenses for it too.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
08-28-2003, 04:17 PM,
once bubbled...."I would also like to hear equipment/hype/fads I should stay away from. For instance...Split fins; great for straight shots, but due to 'vortex' action, they kick up a lot of silt and crud so they are poor for local lake diving and caverns, etc."

OH GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

That's brainwashing bullsh** by some divers and shops who believe you should only kick by frog foot style for the rest of your days and you should only be in jet style paddle fins. What hogwash! Everything depends on your kick. Those same paddle fins are the ones that throw all the silt in the vis when THEY flutter kick. There is no right and wrong. I've seen many split finned divers out there with far better form and no silt throwing when close to the bottom far more than paddle divers. I've seen splits do the frog kick, though not as efficiently as the paddles. I've seen the paddles not near as efficent as the split fins. I've seen divers BACK UP easily in BOTH.

Want to avoid fads and hype, stop listening to those who think there's only one way of doing things and find those divers and shops that think its okay to go it YOUR way as long as you COMMUNICATE before, during, and after each dive with your fellow buddies.

There are many of us divers out here who have 20-30 years of diving under our weightbelts and even in our NEW SPLIT FINS and OLD JACKET STYLE BCD's - we blow the skills of the 'mouth' divers out of the water!

Learn about all the styles and figure out that you are never going to be completely correct and perfect in every piece of gear you purchase or use, nor does every piece have the to be perfect for every scenario. It just has to be safe and comfortable.

Want to avoid the bs/fads/and hype, don't plan cave diving if you are never going to be in a cave.
08-28-2003, 05:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-09-2003, 09:20 AM by LKunze.)
Spearit, I hope you aren't suggesting that everyone who dives a BP/Wing, uses a long hose reg setup, Jet style paddle fins, and does the frog kick as being a "mouth" diver with inferior skills to yours. ??? Keep in mind that not all divers that use that particular gear setup have George Irvine's highly abrasive and opinionated attitude. Personally my gear configuration evolved over time and I finally arrived at what I found to be an optimal gear setup for "me" which is pretty much a Hogarthian/DIR style gear setup. I started out using a jacket BC, then purchased a Zeagle Ranger back inflate BC, and then moved onto a BP/Wing setup which I prefer head and shoulders above the other setups I previously used.
I DO NOT however bash other divers or refuse to dive with other divers that don't configure their gear as I do. I'd say most of the divers on this forum who dive a Hogarthian/DIR style gear configuration share this same down to earth attitude. Keeping an open mind works from all sides.
Oh...and BTW...you don't have to be in a cave to do it right! Wink
08-28-2003, 09:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-28-2003, 09:22 PM by DanL.)
Chadwick,
Welcome to scuba diving and to the board, where you will find most people helpful and cordial.
I've got thirty or forty years under my weightbelt (or is that thirty months under my integrated weights? Don't remember...I'm always narced...) and the piece of equipment you really need is a BS SHIELD TO PROTECT YOU FROM SPEARIT!!!!

Spare it, Spearit.
Har Har Har - I'm so glad it's a free country.
Dan L
08-28-2003, 09:26 PM,
Thanks to everyone!
Yea, there is no one right piece of equipment and I will have to try many different pieces out until I find the best fit for me. Good thing a lot of places rent the equipment they sell (or at least that is how is seems from the browsing I have done online).
Thanks again,
-Chad
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
08-28-2003, 10:25 PM,
Okay, back on track...

One of the biggest challenges is you will find people that swear by jacket BCs, or hogarthian rigs, or rebreathers. You need to get in the water and dive, dive dive. Try to buddy up with as many different people as you can. Check out the gear that they use and ask them why they chose that gear.

Now, here are a couple gear items that work for me. I like paddle fins. I believe I have more power with paddle fins than split fins. I've tried them both doing full dives. Whatever fin you choose remember to use the proper fin kick depending on your dive site. If you are playing around Square a couple feet off the bottom please use a frog kick. If you are swimming around an ocean reef use the flutter kick -- being careful not to kick the corals.

I prefer back-inflate BCs. I own a seaquest balance. I like the fact that my front chest area is less cluttered. I also own a backplate and wing. I love the toughness and customized fitting of the gear.

I use both integrated weights and a weightbelt. It's a tie. I prefer soft weights because they are more comfortable on my hips.

If you really enjoy night dives you will find yourself buying a bigger and bigger light every year until you finally buy a canister (HID or halogen).

Buy a dive flag with an attached innertube. The tube is more stable in the water.

Buy a slap strap or neoprene cover for your mask strap. The cover feels more comfortable and helps prevent the strap from getting tangled in your hair.

Replace your fin straps with spring straps. This is an easy, cheap replacement that eliminates broken fin straps and makes donning the fin easier.

Good luck with your quest. You have an open invitation to join us for some dives anytime.

--Jason
08-29-2003, 09:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-29-2003, 09:20 AM by beeger.)
Wow. Obviously Spearit is not going to win any awards for his communication skills. I *think* what he is trying to saying is that you should not take any one given approach at face value. A point with which I must admit I do agree. I basically don't agree with anything else in that email. Chadwick please don't be put off by that post. There are many people on this board that are happy to offer up more reasoned opinions.

Jasondbaker's post below is an excellent stating point. I'll think about your email and offer up some opinions a little later. But let me give you a little overall advice right now: keep it simple. All your gear should make perfect sense to you. If things seem overly complicated then find another way. When looking at or considering a piece of gear, ask yourself if it is capable of doing its job with the minimum amount of bulk/parts/size that is needed. Streamline. Everything from the fit of your exposure suit to the routing of your hoses should be trim and close to your body without restricting movement. Follow those 2 things are the rest should fall into line. Oh, and keep in mind the following, which is going to be a little harder for you as a new diver to think through (no offense, it's just a more complicated topic): your gear not only has to work "for you during the dive," but it also has to work for you during the dive when things turn bad or you experience some sort of problem/failure. Your gear also has to work for your buddy/team members when there is a problem/failure.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
08-29-2003, 10:02 AM,
You know, it's super easy for us to toss advise about in-water form/equipment. What about out of water? I felt like a mess pre/post dive for the first few months until I scored a few essentials. Here are a few:

Dive Bucket - Gotta haul around all that nifty gear don't ya? Pop into Target or WallyWorld and get yerself a nice container (preferably with wheels and strong handle). Make sure you drill a couple of holes in the bottom for drainage. Bingo! You've got a dive bucket!

Dressing Mat - Diving wet or dry, no one likes mucky feet after a dive. There are some great polyester mats out there that you can spread out on the ground to gear up/down on. Tarp works ok but I found it a little awkward to work with.

Trunk mat - When I first started diving I found the back of my car would stink for days from wet carpet smell. Remedy that by swinging into Home Depot to snag some rubber backed doorway carpeting. That'll fix that problem plus save your vehicle's interior.

Truck/Van - Ok, this is a huge expense but if the dive bug hits ya hard, you'll find your little compact car just doesn't cut it for carrying gear and running trips after a while. Gas milage be damned! Vans and pick-ups rock! I think my wife knew I'd lost it about diving when I used "can carry my dive gear better" as a rational reason to buying my van.

Tool Box - Must have! Stock that puppy with wrenches, screw drivers, tie wraps, o rings, extra hoses, spare this and that..oh, yeah the most important item: duct tape! I don't know how many times my "Barbie" Box saved the day.

Cell Phone - "Honey, I'm gonna be a little late" or "Dude, I'm totally lost...where was that turn again?" are common uses.
To be avoided use: 1-919-684-DAN

DAN Dive Insurance - Think you're covered for chamber rides and helicopter lifts? Think again. Get DAN Diver Insurance, get covered. Hope you never have to use it.

Triple AAA - Sure, there are a variety of tow insurance options out there but let's face it; Triple AAA is like Visa...it's accepted everywhere. Got locked out of a truck at 12:30 at night post dive in Wazee. Damn if one cell phone call to Triple AAA didn't have a guy out there in less than 20 minutes to pop the lock.

I'm sure there are a slew of other little things I could rattle off. These are the basics that I've found helpful in getting me better squared away on shore which has allowed me to enjoy the over-all experience of diving more.