Remember me
Lost Password Register

Please stop trashing Lake Wazee
09-02-2003, 04:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-02-2003, 04:04 PM by john j.)
Please stop trashing Lake Wazee
I'm starting a new topic in hope that I can convince other divers to help keep Wazee from getting trashed. Wazee is such an outstanding and special place that we should all treat it with respect so it will stay that way for the future.

I've noticed a lot more damage to the underwater trees lately and lots more junk being put down there. Maybe others will disagree but I think those underwater forests are precious and once the trees are broken, they won't grow back. Please respect them like you would any coral reef. Wazee is an awesome place and we all need to act responsibly to keep it that way.

There also seems to be a fascination with bringing junk toys, trinkets, action figures, porcelin figurines and other assorted garbage underwater. My opinion is that this is all degrading the diving experience and the environment. If I want to see a bunch of crap like that, I can just go to the dump and save all the expense of buying dive gear. If others are so bored with diving that they need to see that stuff to stay interested, then I suggest another hobby. If people saw that stuff on the side of the road, it wouldn't interest them in the least but when it's underwater, suddenly it's fun to look at and play with I guess. Please consider not only halting this activity but actually removing garbage when you see it.

There aren't many places that are as nice as Wazee and we need to try keep it that way. I would appreciate it if you would join me in helping protect the place.

Thank you.
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
09-03-2003, 07:51 AM,
Re:Please stop trashing Lake Wazee
I agree, it's gotten out of hand, but I like the gazing ball and the gargoyle statues though. Wink
09-03-2003, 08:59 AM,
That's the problem, what's pleasure to one for a day of enjoyment, can be trash for others and the environment.

We don't have the privledge or right to pick and choose what's good for us for the moment in the name of our personal pleasure, we need to be above that and BE making the difference when we can each day. As people and divers, we need to BE responsible and think of our actions and consequences.

Do we really need ONE day a year to remind us of our annual committment to lakeside and oceans clean up? EVERY time we dive, we can and should be making a positive impact. It seems everyday we go diving, we bring back some trash, ie some beer cans, plastic bottles, etc, lets not add more to it.

I think John J has a perfectly said it, none of this stuff needs to be there. It's one thing to have fish cribs to help the stocks of fish grow. Platforms to help in safety, avoiding disturbing or destroying bottom nutrients, and to help new divers keep better control of their learning skills to avoid trashing the bottom landscape. But it stops there if it's not doing anything to help the environment and future of the area.

As divers, we came into this sport to OBSERVE nature and explore, not to find new uses for our trash. Those fishcribs and platforms weren't put there simply for the sole purpose of our enjoyment and playtime. They are there for good reasons.

Imagine a Wazee or ANY underwater environment littered with plastic, trinkets, waterplay toys, and other garbage. There's already enough crap in our waterways, lakes, and oceans that's had centuries of carelessness, ignorance, and disregard already thrown in. Do we don't need more of it, no. The fish and other critiers don't need foreign objects to choke on or more metals leaching into their bodies.

If someone just has to have their toys, then go play in any roadside drainage ditch and storm sewer runoffs, there's plenty to be found. Your buddy and nature are more enjoyment than some 'product' found one some department store shelf and thrown in the water.

Please employ a conscienscious EVERYDAY volunteer effort to clean up as you dive and put an end to selfish and eco-destructive diving. Just like camping, always bring out what you brought in, and take out more trash than you created.
09-03-2003, 09:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2003, 09:56 AM by LKunze.)
I don't think there will ever be a complete end to tree wrecking though. Not trying to sound negative here but there are many newbie divers and careless divers that frequent Wazee, especially in the summer that still do not have their buoyancy and gear configs together. I do not mean to bash newbie divers as we were all newbies at some point. But, on a couple of occasions, I've seen divers at Wazee along the wall at the first access chopping through trees with wild kicking and karate chopping hands flailing about along with big reef wrecking consoles and octos flying about hitting stuff.
09-03-2003, 09:58 AM,
Good points everyone. As an active tech instructor, I stress to the students not to touch the trees and to be aware of their surroundings. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. These trees will not grow back. Soon we will have to start a plant a tree program with dead trees and cinderblocks. Kinda like the GLSPS, but for Wazee. Please protect our underwater environment, and if you see others tree bashing, please do your part to make them aware of the consequences of their actions. This is one place where tree hugging is not acceptable.

Scuba Dive and Travel<br />4423 Nicollet Ave. So.<br />Minneapolis, MN 55419<br />612-823-7210<br />www.scubadiveandtravel.com<br />scubadivetravel@qwestoffice.net
09-03-2003, 10:40 AM,

Haha, thanks for that quote Richard. That made my day. Smile
--Jason
09-03-2003, 11:24 AM,
I recall there is a lake out in Pennsylvania (I think) where a 707 passenger jet, a couple of train cars, an 18 wheeler truck, a military tank, and a few old cars have been purposely sunk for diver enjoyment. Is that goofy or what?! Is that lake healthy? My guess it's probably no worse off with those man made structures in it than with the lawn fertilizer, acid rain, and street sewage run off that finds it's way into it.
09-03-2003, 12:13 PM,
Yeah, I think the big stuff like planes, busses, etc. that are intentionally sunk as artificial reefs are pretty safe. They have to be thoroughly cleaned of all hazzardous materials before they can be put into the water. I know up at Lake Ore Be Gone Rick from Tall Pine Scuba said there was a lot of prep work involved in removing grease, etc. from the railroad speeders before they were able to put them in the lake.
09-03-2003, 01:38 PM,
How about a town? When I lived in Maine I heard about a town that had been flooded from a dam re-routing. Always thought it'd be cool to locate and dive it.

I think there is a dive spot in Pennsyvania where you can dive a flooded town as well...what is up with those people?! Why do they feel a need to sink everything?! Remind me to wear a life jacket if I ever vist.

P.S. Cool, I just noticed this is my 100th post on the board. Does this mean I am now an "Advanced Poster"?
09-03-2003, 03:10 PM,

A friend of mine said Lake Wissota (I'll have to confirm) has a town underwater due to the dam. This would be cool because it is on the way to Wazee.

Anyone ever hear of this??

Derrick