Remember me
Lost Password Register

Perch Lake
05-19-2002, 05:23 PM,
Perch Lake
Just a little review here on Perch Lake.  Perch Lake is located just East of Stillwater about 5 miles into Wisconsin.  Jason Baker and I did a dive there today and we were both pleasantly surprised with this lake.  The lakes maximum depth is 63 ft. according to the Wisconsin Lake finder website.   The viz was about 15 to 20ft.  There was abundant plant growth down to a depth of about 15ft.  The bottom was a little silty but noticeably firmer and less silty than Square Lake to draw a little comparison. There were lots of fish including a huge one that we saw but weren't sure what kind of fish it was. Carp maybe? Guess I need to take a fish ID class...LOL!  The lake is pretty small and the location is pretty remote with a few houses/cabins on it.  There is no beach or park on the lake but there is a little gravel parking lot.  We found it best to gear up in the lot and walk down to the water from the lot.  Another nice thing about the lake too is that motor boats aren't allowed on it.  All in all this was a real nice little lake to dive and I'd recommend it. Smile
05-19-2002, 06:45 PM,
Re: Perch Lake
<br><br>Some additional notes.  Perch Lake is almost the same distance from the cities as Square lake.  The drive is much more scenic.  It isn't crowded at all.  Good visability and no one around to screw it up. The lake bottom is interesting.<br><br>We dove at square on saturday.  Perch Lake was a much better dive site on sunday.  
--Jason
05-21-2002, 06:23 PM,
GP & Jason,<br><br>Perch Lake sounds like a cool place to check out. Could either of you post directions or if a link if one exists? Do you know of any platforms in the lake?<br><br>When were you at Square Lake? I was there from 10am - 1pm at Golden acres. A toasty 54 degress and best visibility this year.<br><br>Derrick
05-21-2002, 06:59 PM,
<br>Derek,<br><br>You take HW36 East out of the cities all the way to<br>Stillwater.  Cross the bridge in Stillwater into WI.  Then<br>stay right (road splits) and take County E (east) for about 5 miles. You will go through a couple stop signs.  Perch Lake Road will be on your left (north side).  There is a gravel parking lot and a small boat landing below. Travel time from Mpls is 45min.<br><br>I'm not aware of any platforms in the lake.  <br><br>We were at Square around 12:30.  We dove from the park beach area by the lifeguard chairs.  We were the only one in that area at the time.  <br><br>If you liked the visibility at square you would have REALLY liked Perch on sunday.  <br><br><br>  
--Jason