MNScuba.com

Full Version: dressing for tech diving? (was in What the Heck is DIR?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

chrisw

Quote:I am not out to set the world on fire with DIR, just elminate the misinformtaion that is out there, like it's a religion, and explain why it works so well for the people I dive with. There are even some local divers who say they are DIR, but don't have the goods to back it up. I think that this does the DIR crowd a huge disservice sine we get lumped in with them.

Jon

So, how do I spot a "real" DIR diver from one who simply self-identifies as DIR?
A little bit of it is gear, do they have a second stage which can be torn down underwater without gear. Some of it is planning, do they have enough gas, and skill, to bail their buddy out if there's a problem. Do they talk about how great they are underwater, and then stir up everything insight because they have no trim.

Not being an expert on all forms of rebreathers I'll still take a stabe at the RB80 question. It's my understanding that the gas usage,and dosage, on the RB80 is directly tied to the divers own work of breathing. This cannot be said for other SCR's, like the Dolphin or the Ray, which can have widely fluctuating F02's in the bag due to work load. The RB80 is tied to the workload so the F02 stays much more constant. From what I understand this is the reason for one rebreather over the other.

Maybe you can help me out with this. I "thought" that the Gator, or the Frog, was suppossed to work on hte same prinicple, but can't remember for sure.

Jon
I just gotta jump in here. So many good points, so much to say/ask.

I see many posts that say I dive DIR 100%. Do 100% DIR divers only dive with other 100% DIR divers?

I have picked up that Solo Diving is not considered DIR. If someone were 100% DIR when with a buddy, but then went on to do a Solo Dive (Not DIR). Would other DIR Divers then not want to dive with that person?
You wouldn't be 100% DIR then, otherwise if you are 100% DIR, you are choosing not to do solo diving. If you have no buddy, you just don't do the dive.
What happens to the person who is supposed to be 100% DIR but does something not 100% DIR, does DIR spank them? Are they sent to DIR purgatory?

(see how I kept that religious thought in there Wink ...

...kidding of course) ;D
Does 100% DIR mean that you only dive with 100% DIR Divers?

chrisw

I think their percentange would go down?

Which brings up a question: can you regain 100% DIR-ness when you remediate your non-DIR actions/attitudes/gear? (Is there DIR forgiveness? Wink)

Or is DIR a boolean concept?

Groovekitty

It is very interesting how everyone has approached this question.

According to my training there is really no such thing as 100% DIR. Now I have used this term (if you will) to descibe myself - but in reality DIR is like all forms of education. It is ongoing and there are things the DIR diver can continually improve upon and practise. 100% DIR is something to asipire to be and I believe that in that pursuit, no one is ever 100% but simply striving to be.

As for solo diving - rule #1 applies here. If you don't have a buddy - call the dive at the dock. And for those if you interested in the standarized DIR training through Global Underwater Explorers (GUE) - if a GUE instructor, yours or another one, sees you diving in a non DIR fashion, they have the power to revoke your certification card on the spot.

As you progress as a diver, and as a DIR diver, you will understand better why as a DIR diver you would never even consider doing a solo dive.

I hope this helps in the understanding of DIR and how it truly is a holistic system - mind, body and soul (a.k.a. gear configuration, fitness, and philosophy).

chrisw

What do you do to become reinstated?

DRE

What do you do to become reinstated?
[/quote]

That's probably a question to ask GUE or a GUE instructor.

One thing I'd like to add though, is that when your lightbulb does go on, you won't do things like solo diving, deep air diving, etc anymore cause you'll know better. The funny thing is that a lot of these concepts are taught in your basic Padi OW class (granted, not to the skill level considered minimum for a DIR diver), but it's always the first thing that gets thrown overboard (diving with a buddy, doing an equipment check and gas check, not diving beyond the comfort/training zone, etc). Go figure!
Pages: 1 2 3 4