MNScuba.com

Full Version: Best Overall BC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been diving for several years now and am looking at purchasing a BC instead of renting. I love to wreck dive in superior and i am looking for advice as to which BC would be best for these environments. I also want a BC that has clips for gear as i am looking at getting into tech diving in near future. I like jacket or Back mounted BC's best. I am also a fairly large guy and would need an XL BC, so please take that into account when making recommendations. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 8)
This is a pretty open ended question. We have 503 members so I imagine you will get 200+ opinions. You state that you "want a BC that has clips for gear...". You don't need many if you've followed the "extra equipment on BC" thread. Many started with stab jackets and converted to b/p, wings and harness. There are many web sites that will provide you with the rational for the b/p option. Try and .
I highly recommend a Backplate/Wing setup. Especially if you think you want to go into tec diving. I've personally dived a jacket BC, back inflate BC and currently use a Backplate/Wing. In my opinion there is no comparison, the Backplate/Wing is far superior. It's way more streamlined, it's more stable and is easier to obtain proper horizontal trim in the water. If you try one I think you'll notice right away the advantages to this system. Make sure you try before you buy. I, along with several other divers I dive or have dove with have spent a lot of money on regular BC's and ended up selling them after getting a chance to try a Backplate/Wing setup. Check with Richard at Scuba Dive and Travel. They rent Backplate/Wings at their shop. Also, I'd recommend coming out to Square Lake for a Wednesday night fun dive to check out some of the other local divers' setups.
I was using a Zeagle Ranger...I liked it, and was happy with most of its function. I still have it and occasionally use it. I converted to BackPlate & Wings. For wreck diving...It has to be the best. It is a different feel, and takes a little getting used to, but the stability is unmatched.
I agree that you should get a couple of dives under your belt prior to spending the money on a backplate system, but i think after a couple of dives you will find that youwill desire to purchase your own. Oh yeah..I too am one of those bigger guys...6'4" 280