Remember me
Lost Password Register

Best Overall BC
05-02-2004, 08:29 AM,
Best Overall BC
I have been diving for several years now and am looking at purchasing a BC instead of renting. I love to wreck dive in superior and i am looking for advice as to which BC would be best for these environments. I also want a BC that has clips for gear as i am looking at getting into tech diving in near future. I like jacket or Back mounted BC's best. I am also a fairly large guy and would need an XL BC, so please take that into account when making recommendations. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 8)
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
05-02-2004, 09:00 AM,
Re:Best Overall BC
This is a pretty open ended question. We have 503 members so I imagine you will get 200+ opinions. You state that you "want a BC that has clips for gear...". You don't need many if you've followed the "extra equipment on BC" thread. Many started with stab jackets and converted to b/p, wings and harness. There are many web sites that will provide you with the rational for the b/p option. Try and .
05-02-2004, 09:02 AM,
I highly recommend a Backplate/Wing setup. Especially if you think you want to go into tec diving. I've personally dived a jacket BC, back inflate BC and currently use a Backplate/Wing. In my opinion there is no comparison, the Backplate/Wing is far superior. It's way more streamlined, it's more stable and is easier to obtain proper horizontal trim in the water. If you try one I think you'll notice right away the advantages to this system. Make sure you try before you buy. I, along with several other divers I dive or have dove with have spent a lot of money on regular BC's and ended up selling them after getting a chance to try a Backplate/Wing setup. Check with Richard at Scuba Dive and Travel. They rent Backplate/Wings at their shop. Also, I'd recommend coming out to Square Lake for a Wednesday night fun dive to check out some of the other local divers' setups.
05-02-2004, 10:09 AM,
I was using a Zeagle Ranger...I liked it, and was happy with most of its function. I still have it and occasionally use it. I converted to BackPlate & Wings. For wreck diving...It has to be the best. It is a different feel, and takes a little getting used to, but the stability is unmatched.
I agree that you should get a couple of dives under your belt prior to spending the money on a backplate system, but i think after a couple of dives you will find that youwill desire to purchase your own. Oh yeah..I too am one of those bigger guys...6'4" 280
Oops Did I really say that?????