MNScuba.com

Full Version: Suggestions on cold water regs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thinking of getting my first reg. Any suggestions or personal testemonials of some cold water regs that won't break the bank!!! I was looking at the aqualung Titan LX, any thoughts?
If your criteria is a cold water reg that comes in at a relatively lower price point then the Titan LX is a nice reg. I've used and serviced Titan first stages, and seen a lot of these in use over the years. Good performers; easy to service/adjust; nice for travelling; proven design. I'm not quite as familiar with the LX second stages, but I've been around a lot of these while in use and they seem to hold up well. Breathing characteristics seem to be good for a second without on-the-fly cracking pressure adjustment (which I prefer). If you like the Titan LX, go with the Supreme model so you can get the dry sealed first stage. If you can swing a higher price point the Legend is a fantastic reg. It's my preferred reg for single tank diving.

Apeks also has some mid-price range regs that might work for you. Something like the XTX 50 might suit your needs. I own a number of Apeks regs and have been more or less very pleased with all of these. Many of the different models are actually very similar.
Like Beeger I use Apeks.  I've used the ATX-50 for the past 5 years and it's performed well in all conditions.  I've never had a free flow with it.  Another excellent reg that hasn't been mentioned is the Zeagle ZX/DSV. 
I have an ATX-50 as well. When I bought my gear I did a bunch of research and of the regs I was looking at the ATX came most highly recommended. My octo is an Apeks too.
I would recommend a Sherwood Maximus or a Geninis GR2000 Sherwood easiest to maintain and adjust. One thing to remember if your air has high moisture in it you could possibly have a freeze up. When breathing the venturi effect of air passing through is about 17 degrees now add that to the existing temp ie; 35 above minius 17 temp = 18 degrees
Thanks, You all have been very helpfull!! How do you avoid high moisture content in your air?
good fills from a good shop  Wink

when shoping for a reg. I would start with what brands are serviced by your local dive shop? I ask this because if you have a failure your local dive shop may have the parts in stock and can fix it quickly.
I have watched Chuck from GUDC repair regs in the field with parts he carries with him saving a weekend of diving for the owner of the regs.

I'm not trying to start a discusion of where to buy your regs just having you think about what if the need service during the season.

that said I dive a Sherwood and the only problems I have had was buddies telling me I had a leak (sherwoods do that on purpose)
I plan to buy an Apex set this summer
ask to see their current air anlyist it will show the moisture content ours just came back at a -91

You forgot to mention I only do this blindfolded  Wink

SORRY...HAD TO BEAT

MAXFACTOR..........TO IT  Tongue >Big Grin
i wasn't trying to make Chucks head bigger. my point was choosing a reg that could be serviced by the tech at your local dive shop
Pages: 1 2