MNScuba.com

Full Version: Lac Lavon Lake in Burnsville
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
My wife and I have been going down to the Lac Lavon Beach off of Gardenview several times a week hoping to see someone down there next to the dock, but usually it's just people fishing from it Smile Figures, we missed seeing you there.
The video you shot was really neat, thanks for sharing it.

Dan and Theresa
5:15PM, Thursday, July 12th, 2007.

Went down to the beach off of Gardenview and saw new signs posted along the beachfront of Lac Lavon; "No Swimming Or Diving".

So much for waterplay for today.
The swimming beach is on the Burnsville side off Lac Lavon Dive.  The Gardenview park is for fishing, beachcombing and SCUBA.   As long as you are wearing a wetsuit, in full scuba gear or are towing a diver flag, you should not be harassed.  Just check with "A Diver's World"  they do their "Night Diver" dive classes there!
They are really serious about the no diving. I took this picture of the sign they put in the lake the last time I was out there diving. ;D

Thanks Dan...That puts it in better perspective! ;D
The city of Apple Valley has never allowed scuba diving in their area of the lake off gardenview.  An email to A Diver's World who is just a few minutes from there says that Burnsville controls the other side of the lake and does allow scuba diving off the swim beach when you apply for a permit from their park office.  Dive shops and individuals can apply for the permit, and it is free, but you have to apply during the week as the park administrative offices are closed on the weekend.  The access into the water on the Burnsville side, near the ballfields, from the beach is easy but it not very deep. 
LOL! I forgot about that.  Good thing we didn't get busted by the underwater  cops patrolling the lake. Tongue
The original owners of SCUBA Daddy's put in the platform. From the beach with the dock area on your left, where is the platform and how deep is it? I live three or four blocks from there and dove there this last Wed. evening. I had lots of fun but would like to find the platform. I was thinking of marking it with a buoy so others could use it for training if the viz stays good.
I dove LacLavon last Sunday and found the platform.  It is about 1/2 way across, a little to your left (south I believe) as you are standing on the dock looking over the water.  If I remember correctly it is in about 17ft of water.

Regards!!

Well actually, if you want to get "LEGAL" about it.  The city of Burnsville has a law on the books that covers scuba diving and that you need a permit to scuba dive in the lakes in the city of Burnsville.

8-6-17: BODIES OF WATER:

(B) Use Of Underwater Breathing Apparatus: No person shall use skin diving, aqua lungs or any other underwater breathing apparatus or equipment in any park waters without first obtaining a permit therefor from the city.

The same thing is in Bloomington in the City Code

Bloomington City Code Chapter 5 page 2
(19) No person shall use scuba or other diving equipment in any park without a permit from the Park Director. ...

Now in Apple Valley?

§ 95.03  GENERAL REGULATIONS.

(E)     Swimming and bathing.  No person shall bathe, swim or wade in any lake, pond or watercourse within a park, except in designated swimming or wading areas.  All persons shall comply with the posted rules in swimming areas.

Hello, McFly???  There is NO law on the books in Apple Valley regarding the use of underwater breathing "SCUBA" equipment.

So, since there is NO city law regarding the use of SCUBA or underwater breathing equipment in Apple Valley, The State Of MN Laws apply.  BYODF  Bring your own dive flag!!!

Oh and I was out there tonight.  The visablity is still great.

Plus why would it be off limits to swiming when the home owners can swim in the lake out their back yard?

Pages: 1 2 3 4