MNScuba.com

Full Version: Quarry park in St Cloud - 11/11/06
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm looking to dive Quarry Park this Sat.  Since I don't have a permit yet, I was planning on meeting at the dive shop in St Cloud around 10 am to get a permit, then head over to the quarry (about 5 min away).

I don't have a cart yet, so I was going to hoof it in.  Shouldn't be too bad over a couple of trips.

Any takers?

When I was there 2 weeks ago to look around, vis looked at least 15 ft in the first quarry (18), and pretty similar in the other quarry I want to hit (11).

Jeff Leech
I'm interested -- I'd like to check them out.  I've read a little bit about the quarries, but never tried diving there.  With luck, it won't be too cold over the week (or on the weekend, come to think of it).

I don't have an official scuba cart or anything like that, but I do have one of those big plastic garden carts that I bought at Home Depot.  It should be big enough to carry my gear, at least, and I could loan it to others to use as well.  (Come to think of it, do they make official scuba carts?)
Jeff, what are the trails like, are they paved, smooth gravel or bumpy, hills, etc.?  There's no way I want to haul doubles in on my back but if the trails are decent enough for my light duty folding 2-wheeler I might consider it.  At least for Quarry #18 anyway.

The trails are 10-12 ft wide, with crushed gravel on most.  The short side trail to the entry point for the first quarry is 6-8 ft wide, and dirt/mulch.  All trails are fairly smooth.
There is a slight hill leading up to Quarry 11, but it's fairly gradual.

Jeff

Jeff, are you still planning to go on this dive? If so, I'll meet you at the shop in St. Cloud.

Dan
Yes, it looks like there will be at least 4 of us.  Dan G, Elkman (aka Todd), you and myself.  Lonnie may still join us, he said he'd let me know tomorrow.

Looks to be a bit chilly, but at least we won't overheat in our drysuits...

Jeff

Awww....
Comon !!!
Heft dem doubles ...
I used a regular pull-cart for my 85's down here at Jugg hole.  But the trail is probably NOT as hilly as the one you guys are going to use.
Lonnie:  I agree...cart em , don't back-tote em.

Hey , let me know how the conditions are...I always wanted to try those , but never got around to it.
Oh , Kirk is down here this weekend and we are going to do some splashing over at Ginnie ourselves.
See ya in the water!

Jeano Beano
Looks like at least a group of 5 for Quarry Park on Sat.  Remember to bring your C card, you'll need it for the permit we get at the dive shop.  See you at 10 am.

Jeff
Hey guys, had some nice dives today despite the chilly air temps.  Looking forward to checking out some of your pics. Wink
The quarries that are open to diving, and within a reasonable walk/hike, are not worth dragging the doubles too. Quarry 18 is reserved only for instructors with students, max depth is less than 70'. Quarry 13 is just a couple hundred feet south but not much depth, my understanding is that it to is less than 70'. When I dove quarry 13 a few weeks ago, the vis ended about 35' and you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

I will be diving the quarries again on Sunday, November 12th, the plan is to hike back to quarry 1, the sign says it is a 1/2 mile, but I think it is further. I have gone swimming in quarry 2 and this quarry is just 50 or so feet past it. I know quarry 2 is a long hike, but I do not know of anyone diving it yet because of the distance.

The path to the quarries are in excellent condition, but it is the distance that will kill a person.  If I remember, I will bring my camera with tomorrow and take a few pics in the area and post them.

Dave Torry
St. Cloud
Pages: 1 2