Remember me
Lost Password Register

Quarry park in St Cloud - 11/11/06
11-06-2006, 06:08 PM,
Quarry park in St Cloud - 11/11/06
I'm looking to dive Quarry Park this Sat.  Since I don't have a permit yet, I was planning on meeting at the dive shop in St Cloud around 10 am to get a permit, then head over to the quarry (about 5 min away).

I don't have a cart yet, so I was going to hoof it in.  Shouldn't be too bad over a couple of trips.

Any takers?

When I was there 2 weeks ago to look around, vis looked at least 15 ft in the first quarry (18), and pretty similar in the other quarry I want to hit (11).

Jeff Leech
Jeff
11-06-2006, 06:31 PM,
Re: Quarry park in St Cloud - 11/11/06
I'm interested -- I'd like to check them out.  I've read a little bit about the quarries, but never tried diving there.  With luck, it won't be too cold over the week (or on the weekend, come to think of it).

I don't have an official scuba cart or anything like that, but I do have one of those big plastic garden carts that I bought at Home Depot.  It should be big enough to carry my gear, at least, and I could loan it to others to use as well.  (Come to think of it, do they make official scuba carts?)
11-06-2006, 06:34 PM,
Jeff, what are the trails like, are they paved, smooth gravel or bumpy, hills, etc.?  There's no way I want to haul doubles in on my back but if the trails are decent enough for my light duty folding 2-wheeler I might consider it.  At least for Quarry #18 anyway.
11-06-2006, 07:12 PM,

The trails are 10-12 ft wide, with crushed gravel on most.  The short side trail to the entry point for the first quarry is 6-8 ft wide, and dirt/mulch.  All trails are fairly smooth.
There is a slight hill leading up to Quarry 11, but it's fairly gradual.

Jeff

Jeff
11-09-2006, 10:50 PM,
Jeff, are you still planning to go on this dive? If so, I'll meet you at the shop in St. Cloud.

Dan
11-10-2006, 12:02 AM,
Yes, it looks like there will be at least 4 of us.  Dan G, Elkman (aka Todd), you and myself.  Lonnie may still join us, he said he'd let me know tomorrow.

Looks to be a bit chilly, but at least we won't overheat in our drysuits...

Jeff
Jeff
11-10-2006, 11:26 AM,

Awww....
Comon !!!
Heft dem doubles ...
I used a regular pull-cart for my 85's down here at Jugg hole.  But the trail is probably NOT as hilly as the one you guys are going to use.
Lonnie:  I agree...cart em , don't back-tote em.

Hey , let me know how the conditions are...I always wanted to try those , but never got around to it.
Oh , Kirk is down here this weekend and we are going to do some splashing over at Ginnie ourselves.
See ya in the water!

Jeano Beano
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
11-10-2006, 02:06 PM,
Looks like at least a group of 5 for Quarry Park on Sat.  Remember to bring your C card, you'll need it for the permit we get at the dive shop.  See you at 10 am.

Jeff
Jeff
11-11-2006, 05:41 PM,
Hey guys, had some nice dives today despite the chilly air temps.  Looking forward to checking out some of your pics. Wink
11-11-2006, 11:45 PM,
The quarries that are open to diving, and within a reasonable walk/hike, are not worth dragging the doubles too. Quarry 18 is reserved only for instructors with students, max depth is less than 70'. Quarry 13 is just a couple hundred feet south but not much depth, my understanding is that it to is less than 70'. When I dove quarry 13 a few weeks ago, the vis ended about 35' and you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

I will be diving the quarries again on Sunday, November 12th, the plan is to hike back to quarry 1, the sign says it is a 1/2 mile, but I think it is further. I have gone swimming in quarry 2 and this quarry is just 50 or so feet past it. I know quarry 2 is a long hike, but I do not know of anyone diving it yet because of the distance.

The path to the quarries are in excellent condition, but it is the distance that will kill a person.  If I remember, I will bring my camera with tomorrow and take a few pics in the area and post them.

Dave Torry
St. Cloud
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201