MNScuba.com

Full Version: Boat Ladder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, I am thinking forward about diving from my Dad's Pontoon Boat. The ladder is not what I would call "Rock Solid". We have no problems when swimming, but add a wet dry suit to my slightly non-DIR body :-[ and It might give up. Sooooo that has me thinking about building a ladder. Something robust, something that one could stand on proudly and say WeeHee! ;D

I figure someone has gone down this path before me but I have been unsuccessful thus far in finding any examples. :-\

Does anybody have any Pics of a good pontoon ladder that would work well for SCUBA.

TIA

You could probably go to a metal shop and get a nice dive ladder made from steel bars. One bar down the center and then cross bars welded to the center bar.
A basic "Christmas tree" type should do the job.

Jon
I have no problem welding the thing up myself. What I am looking for is a model.

Put it on the side, in the front?
Pole down the middle or 2 poles like a standard ladder?
Extend the poles above the Boat Deck for support?
The "Christmas Tree" is what I was thinking, Putting it in the Front of the boat, between the Pontoons.

Now, should I extend the Center pole above the boat deck? If so how High?

Should I have the Pole tight to the boat or extend it out a bit?
I am making one right now for the new dive platform.

mine will be 8 ft long...christmas tree type..1 1/2" square 6160 aluminum vertical with 1 1/4" horizontals. hinged on a bolt. you will need to figure out where you will mount it, and can make it removable. Make is so it moves almost 180deg. from top to bottom..but short yourself a couple of degrees when its down..its kind of hard to climb out of the water when a ladder is straight down..this is easily done by placing a block on your mounting plate...just a suggestion..also, if you are going to make it a longer ladder..stay away from steel..currently on my old boat, i have a 7 ft round aluminum ladder and it can be tough to bull up sometimes. Topside extended would be nice, but places to put your hands will suffice....have fun
Deano
Be careful Igotofar . . . sounds like it will be quite the beefy ladder, add the weight of a couple divers & gear, the boat will probably sink!

You can also hang ropes with carbiners from the side of the boat - take the equip. off in water and hook it up. Then you can haul it on from the boat.

Gook Luck! Wink