Remember me
Lost Password Register

Boat Ladder
04-22-2004, 09:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2004, 09:04 AM by igotoofar.)
Boat Ladder
Ok, I am thinking forward about diving from my Dad's Pontoon Boat. The ladder is not what I would call "Rock Solid". We have no problems when swimming, but add a wet dry suit to my slightly non-DIR body :-[ and It might give up. Sooooo that has me thinking about building a ladder. Something robust, something that one could stand on proudly and say WeeHee! ;D

I figure someone has gone down this path before me but I have been unsuccessful thus far in finding any examples. :-\

Does anybody have any Pics of a good pontoon ladder that would work well for SCUBA.

TIA
04-22-2004, 09:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2004, 09:28 AM by LKunze.)
Re:Boat Ladder

You could probably go to a metal shop and get a nice dive ladder made from steel bars. One bar down the center and then cross bars welded to the center bar.
04-22-2004, 09:55 AM,
A basic "Christmas tree" type should do the job.

Jon

Attached Files
.jpg   lender_ladder.jpg (Size: 74.43 KB / Downloads: 59)
.jpg_thumb   lender_ladder.jpg_thumb (Size: 25.04 KB / Downloads: 0)
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
04-22-2004, 09:58 AM,
I have no problem welding the thing up myself. What I am looking for is a model.

Put it on the side, in the front?
Pole down the middle or 2 poles like a standard ladder?
Extend the poles above the Boat Deck for support?
04-22-2004, 10:01 AM,
The "Christmas Tree" is what I was thinking, Putting it in the Front of the boat, between the Pontoons.

Now, should I extend the Center pole above the boat deck? If so how High?

Should I have the Pole tight to the boat or extend it out a bit?
04-23-2004, 06:51 AM,
I am making one right now for the new dive platform.

mine will be 8 ft long...christmas tree type..1 1/2" square 6160 aluminum vertical with 1 1/4" horizontals. hinged on a bolt. you will need to figure out where you will mount it, and can make it removable. Make is so it moves almost 180deg. from top to bottom..but short yourself a couple of degrees when its down..its kind of hard to climb out of the water when a ladder is straight down..this is easily done by placing a block on your mounting plate...just a suggestion..also, if you are going to make it a longer ladder..stay away from steel..currently on my old boat, i have a 7 ft round aluminum ladder and it can be tough to bull up sometimes. Topside extended would be nice, but places to put your hands will suffice....have fun
Deano
Oops Did I really say that?????
04-23-2004, 09:26 AM,
Be careful Igotofar . . . sounds like it will be quite the beefy ladder, add the weight of a couple divers & gear, the boat will probably sink!

You can also hang ropes with carbiners from the side of the boat - take the equip. off in water and hook it up. Then you can haul it on from the boat.

Gook Luck! Wink
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy