MNScuba.com

Full Version: OMS Reel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I purchased an OMS 300' primary reel a couple months ago. After using it a couple of times, I have noticed that the shaft that extends through the reel is not exactly centered.

What winds up happening is that I can't get the proper pressure on the friction nut. If I have it touching on the "low point" in the rotation, it wont spin on the "high side." If I leave it loose on the "low side" so that it can turn on the "high side," it is difficult to control the line.

I have used it on several dives, and doubt that I can return it. Anyone have any thoughts on how to correct this, or am I just being too picky and are all reels off center (this is the only one I have)?
In my experience, the tension screw on the OMS reels doesn't function well to maintain a specific tension. It really only goes on or off. I usually use my other hand to control the tension on the reel.
You say the "tension screw on the OMS reels doesn't function well."

How about other brands of reels?
OMS did just come out with a new design for their tension screw. It is flat on the end instead of rounded. They have also added a guard to help prevent the line from wrapping around the spool's shaft. I haven't tried them myself yet but it looks like it might work a little better.