Remember me
Lost Password Register

OMS Reel
07-29-2003, 06:19 AM,
OMS Reel
I purchased an OMS 300' primary reel a couple months ago. After using it a couple of times, I have noticed that the shaft that extends through the reel is not exactly centered.

What winds up happening is that I can't get the proper pressure on the friction nut. If I have it touching on the "low point" in the rotation, it wont spin on the "high side." If I leave it loose on the "low side" so that it can turn on the "high side," it is difficult to control the line.

I have used it on several dives, and doubt that I can return it. Anyone have any thoughts on how to correct this, or am I just being too picky and are all reels off center (this is the only one I have)?
07-29-2003, 07:10 AM,
Re:OMS Reel
In my experience, the tension screw on the OMS reels doesn't function well to maintain a specific tension. It really only goes on or off. I usually use my other hand to control the tension on the reel.
07-29-2003, 07:56 AM,
You say the "tension screw on the OMS reels doesn't function well."

How about other brands of reels?
07-30-2003, 07:52 AM,
OMS did just come out with a new design for their tension screw. It is flat on the end instead of rounded. They have also added a guard to help prevent the line from wrapping around the spool's shaft. I haven't tried them myself yet but it looks like it might work a little better.