MNScuba.com
No More camping at Crosby Ironton Pits - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: No More camping at Crosby Ironton Pits (/showthread.php?tid=2777)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Crosby pits info to B--ch about "no more camping" - wtdrm - 06-08-2006

I have done some research.
1st is the Cuyuna Park website

2nd is an email from a friend that is good friends with Todd of MSD.

I chatted with Todd and they shut it down for
overnight camping.  They had some problems with 20 year
old's causing problems.

They are working on a plan to have camping inside the
area but not on the water.   They also plan many dive
sites and scuba diving will be a major part of the
plan.   Todd is working directly with the planner.

Todd is gathering up information and will be doing
some posting on mnscuba board.   Gather up the troops
and have us make some calls and send some letters.

An era is over.   We will tell people - "I remember
when you could..."

3rd
DNR contact info
DNR Information Center
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155-4040
Telephone: (651) 296-6157 or (888) 646-6367
TTY: (651) 296-5484 or (800) 657-3929

DNR Central Office hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday. Closed holidays.

State legislature contacts

State senate contacts

This forum can be a powerrful tool.

If we use it wisely, we can make it work for us.

I am also going to draft a letter to the editor about the revenue they could lose.
CJ

Re: No More camping at Crosby Ironton Pits - MAXFACTOR - 06-09-2006

Minnesota NICE......   A really wise man....... my brother who had a 11th grade education, and was drafted in the Army became a war hero .....medals for heroism and hand to hand combat.  101st airborne,   said to me one day the following quote....... and I have used this quote in my business and been successful in everything I have done because I followed this advice.    so here it is.......

"Don't let em shit all over you,   open  your mouth once in a while." 

SO  WITH THAT..... I challenge all of you on the board, from here and afar, to send a letter to the DNR....                    KEEP CROSBY FREE.....
                                             OR
                                 WE'LL DIVE WAZEE......

i'M HAVING A SHIRT MADE UP RIGHT NOW WITH THAT ON IT.

MAXFACTOR

Re: No More camping at Crosby Ironton Pits - jasondbaker - 06-09-2006

Hey Joe, how do you really feel about this situation?  ;D haha.  I have no problem if they close off camping in the pits if: a) they have enough camping available at portsmouth to handle the influx of new displaced campers, b) they improve the facilities at the campground, and c) they don't charge for entrance to the pits.  I camped in the pits out of necessity and not necessarily desire.  If the DNR plays this right the only ones unhappy about the new camping policy will be the ticks.

Re: No More camping at Crosby Ironton Pits - LKunze - 06-09-2006

As long as they don't charge divers $10 per day to dive like Wazee, Crosby will still be cheaper to dive.  Charging for camping wouldn't be the end of the world.  Like I said earlier, I wouldn't mind if they required a state park pass just to get into the pits.  That alone would keep a lot of the losers out of there.  All of us divers who dive the Madeira or visit state parks already will have a state park vehicle sticker anyway. 

Re: No More camping at Crosby Ironton Pits - LRRP02 - 06-09-2006

just heard at coffee this morning that a mining company from canada is looking at leasing the crosby mines for minerals like they did at LTV so watch for gates to keep us out going up by fall time ???

Re: No More camping at Crosby Ironton Pits - LKunze - 06-09-2006

What was your source for this information?  ???That's the first I've heard that rumor.  Where is LTV? 

Re: No More camping at Crosby Ironton Pits - LRRP02 - 06-09-2006

at coffee shop in rapids with some retired mine exc. LTV is in hoyt lakes /aurora. company that is there stocks are climbing started at .99 and is now over 5.00 speculated to go high good invest

Re: No More camping at Crosby Ironton Pits - MAXFACTOR - 06-09-2006

The rainy day today,  just seems gloomier today  with that news. 

I cannot believe that there is any economic justice in trying to tap additional minerals out at a price that makes sense.  The land around the lake is much more valuable as LAKE LOTs  then it is as a mine.

I hope the rumor is not true. 

Thats another reason for me to move to florida, where you can either walk into the water, or  drop anchor and dive. 

I'll be given away and selling more stuff soon.  Streamlining my treasures for the big move.

MaxFactor.....

Re: No More camping at Crosby Ironton Pits - mrweekend - 06-09-2006

I talked to Steve Webber today who is in charge of the CCSRA "Cuyuna Country State Recreation area.
The area has been closed because they are having problems contrlling the Riff/Raff, Or what he considers the Dark Side.  Drug Pushers, Trashers, people running around naked and even pediphiles.  THey need to close it to move towards a permit plan and "Yes" there will be a fee.  THere is a comprehensive plan that is being worked on that is due to be complete by the End of Summer that will allow Diving , mountain biking and horseback Riding.  THey are well aware of the impact we have on the area and the community and don't want to lose us.  But in the interest of safety and hoping to speed the process along, they need to close the remote camping until things are worked out.  THe interesting this is that the the CCSRA is owned by the state and a large portion is also owned by private. THis is all being worked on by the state, and they will be trying to aquire more the land as time goes on to make it a fully owned state recreational area.

They have been communicating with some of the Diveshops and I will be meeting with them next week to express our interests as well.  While we might lose some of the pits to Diving.  Let's remember that where not going to get anywhere by bashing the DNR, but we can be part of there comprehensive plan and also help to eliminate the problem. 

More to follow next week.

Re: No More camping at Crosby Ironton Pits - MAXFACTOR - 06-12-2006

Send a squad car through and fix the problem.  Thats just not the case.........IF THAT WAS the real case,  then perhaps  the DNR  should close down MINNEAPOLIS,  or  St. CLOUD,    THE very few isolated problems that the pits have, shouldn't make the mass suffer.

WHERES ALL THE MONEY..... THAT    THE  DNR WAS SUPPOSE TO GET FROM THE LOTTERY........ 

I enjoyed my night dive up there Sat. night  with  WTRM.... and claystain diver.

maxfactor