MNScuba.com
IceDiveGreen 12-30-2007 1-12-08 - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: IceDiveGreen 12-30-2007 1-12-08 (/showthread.php?tid=3699)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: Ice Dive Green Lake 12-30-2007 - MAXFACTOR - 12-31-2007

Shooter and A & A,  Archflash,

boy i would love to join you guys, but i am thinking about doing the two harbors dive on jan 1. in SUPERIOR.  ( with the guys up there.)  i did it last year and it was a good dive.    i will definetly make a ice dive day with you guys again this year.

you guys have been very very active in ice diving, and i applaud you for keeping it going.  nice chain saw blade.    you guys are practically providing the best service in MN. 

happy diving and happy new year to all

maxfactor

Re: Ice Dive Green Lake 12-30-2007 - Shooter - 12-31-2007

I had forgotten how much work ice diving was...... :o our efforts were definitely rewarded however.  While art had his camera, and no underwater housing.  I had my underwater housing, and no camera  Sad .  had a great time diving!  My body is feeling it this morning  :'( :'( :'(. I could use a little handholding myself ;D.

Finding the shipwreck has definitely been a highlight in my short ice diving career. Congratulations Art on the discovery.  Glad I was able to be a part of it.

We waited at the landing until about 930, and I went back there, sometime after 10, to see if anybody else showed up.

Was a somewhat traumatic end to our dive. Our surface tender Neo, decided to pick up and try to play with a rapala fishing lure  Sad.  He ended up with three hooks, in his mouth and tongue and another one, holding his front paw to his mouth. Thanks to the fast action of Art and Stephen with a side cutters and fishing line.  We were able to successfully remove all the treble hooks. The one going through the tounge and into the jaw was a tricky one.  After the surgery without anesthetic, Neo returned to his happy-go-lucky self, Within moments.  ;D 

Note to self upon recovering fishing lures remove treble hooks :-[

Re: Ice Dive Green Lake 12-30-2007 - mcdiver - 12-31-2007

Boy did I screw this opportunity, I was looking at another posting and got the two mixed-up. I sat home most of the day doing squat, well, I did watch the Vikes get their asses kicked, again.

Anyway, keep me in mind for any future ice dives.

I left my cell number with arcflash.

Re: Ice Dive Green Lake 12-30-2007 - DetectorGuy - 12-31-2007

Yep I screwed up too by not being there. It sounds like you guys had a blast. Which side of the sunken island did you find the "SS.Minnow" on? I don't have a GPS but I can find the island in the summer with my old depth finder. I am big into charts too, and being I'm new to diving I want to keep on with a kwerky thing thing that I have started doing... I go to the MN DNR lakefinder website and print out PDF files of any lakes that I would like to dive someday, and when I finish diving at one of them I mark any of my finds on the map and keep them in my dive log book. It kinda makes sense that the majority of the anchors would be in the 10' to 20' range as thats where most people fish. Its kinda weird though that so many anchors get "lost" in a muddy bottom. Maybe we Minnesotans are too cheap to replace our anchor ropes once in a while. Well I'm glad to hear that you all had a fun and safe outing. Keep me posted on your next one. Smile

Re: Ice Dive Green Lake 12-30-2007 - grumpie - 12-31-2007

The bigest problem is to many people use poly-propene rope. the rope will untie its self when it works.
grumpie........

Re: Ice Dive Green Lake 12-30-2007 - AandA - 01-01-2008

I've got to agree with Grumpie on this one again.

I'd estimate about 2/3 of the anchors we find have NO rope attached.  The most common reason would be a poor knot on line that easily slips (like the poly line used by most fisherman).  On the other hand thankfully there are also some just plain humans out there (people who usually do the right thing... but every once in a while do somthin jus plain stupid).  These are the people who throw the anchor out without tying the rope on first.

Re: Ice Dive Green Lake 12-30-2007 - DetectorGuy - 01-01-2008

I dont really know if it applies to small lakes but the old salty dogs say that an anchor rope should be played out to six times the water depth with a short length of chain on the end. Along with the chafing resistance that the chain offers it also acts as weight to keep the biting edges of the anchor into the bottom. The short length of chain will keep the small wave action from lifting the anchors "teeth" attached. the "six times the depth" theory keeps the pulling angle low with less constant jerking on the knot of the anchor. A bowline knot at the anchor end would probably be the best knot that a person could use. Of cousre this is just my opinion...

Shoot... Why did I write all that? Now we will need to be happy with finding only old anchors as there will not be anymore "new" anchors lost. Just kidding  ;D

Re: Ice Dive Green Lake 12-30-2007 - freedivernd - 01-01-2008

no, no, no... anchors are supposed to tied with a slip knot only, and a 6' piece of 50lbs test mono fishing line where you're talking the chain.  Surely everyone knows this!!

Oh... Yeah... Thats right. My bad.  ;D