MNScuba.com
Drysuit Training - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Drysuit Training (/showthread.php?tid=4675)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Drysuit Training - goaliemn - 11-17-2009

Just as a sidenote, I called a whites demo center and they are shipping me a suit to try out.  I'm mainly going to do this for sizing, as I haven't seen anyone announce any dives, but if anyone is heading out, please let me know Wink 

Re: Drysuit Training - mattd - 11-17-2009

I'm probably going out the first weekend of December if the water isn't hard, but I'm certainly not qualified to teach you to use a drysuit, I'm still trying to figure it out myself.

I'll just go somewhere local like little long lake just to get more experience in my new suit.

Re: Drysuit Training - goaliemn - 11-17-2009

Yeah.. I may just visit a nearby lake and do some playing around in the more shallow water. 

Re: Drysuit Training - Dragon Eye - 11-17-2009

Make sure you take lots of weight!!! It takes a lot to get down with all those undergarments to keep you warm.

Re: Drysuit Training - mermaid - 11-17-2009

Smith Diving is hoping to schedule drysuit training in December when they get more drysuits in.  They said it isn't a regular certification class though. 

Re: Drysuit Training - mcdiver - 11-20-2009

I wouldn't get all wrapped-up in the fact that the classis is not a certification class. A good time to learn to use a drysuit is in the fall, when the weather is starting to cool off, it will take awhile to learn how to put the suit on with all the undergarments. In the summer, by the time you are fully dressed, you are sweating your buns off.

Be careful on putting too much weight on, you don't want to create so much drag in the water that you are constantly kicking. We all know that the guidelines seem to be way-off (to much weight) and if you start out severly overweighted, you are going to have to pump the BC up just to keep you off the bottom, or else inflate that drysuit which also creates drag.

Re: Drysuit Training - goaliemn - 11-20-2009

Some places won't rent or let you dive without a certification, so it is something to keep in mind..

Re: Drysuit Training - AandA - 11-20-2009

I sent you a PM, regarding your interest in getting certification as a Drysuit Diver.
;D

Re: Drysuit Training - wtdrm - 11-20-2009

Lots more weight isn't necessarily true. I dont use much more weight in a dry suit than I do a 7MM.

Re: Drysuit Training - mermaid - 11-23-2009

Some places won't rent or let you dive without a certification, so it is something to keep in mind.. [/quote]

A call from Smith Diving today confirmed that their drysuit workshop in December is NOT a drysuit certification class.  Participants are NOT DRYSUIT CERTIFIED.  There is no open water dive with this class since the water (we assume) will be frozen.  The workshop only includes pool time. 

Looks like the next drysuit certification classes will be held next spring.