MNScuba.com
Anyone been up to the Hesper lately? - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Anyone been up to the Hesper lately? (/showthread.php?tid=5803)

Anyone been up to the Hesper lately? - suddha - 06-11-2012

My wife wants to do her first Superior dive and the Hesper seems like a good one to start with. She's an experienced diver but one who doesn't like cold water so I'm hoping the predictions of a warmer lake this year holds true. Has anyone been up there lately?

Re: Anyone been up to the Hesper lately? - jasondbaker - 06-12-2012

I would consider doing the Madeira first.  I think the access is a little more convenient and the wreck is much more interesting than the Hesper. If your wife doesn't like cold water, the best time to dive these wrecks is late August/early September. It's possible to encounter surface water temps in the low 60's at these times. However, that's not a guarantee since the wind and currents can push in colder water at any time. 

I also read a recent article about warmer temps on the lake this year. The current surface temps look colder than normal to me:

Re: Anyone been up to the Hesper lately? - natureguy - 06-23-2012

We dove the hesper the last weekend in May. 34 degrees that at depth....brrr. I think access is a toss up. At the Hesper you have a climb over the rocks, but the Madeira has a long trail to the beach and a long surface swim...either one has its challenges. I'd suggest waiting until later in the summer if she get's cold too....

Re: Anyone been up to the Hesper lately? - popolarbear - 06-25-2012

whats water clarity, i herd that superior was very murky this year due to surface run off.

Re: Anyone been up to the Hesper lately? - diverchick - 06-27-2012

Try the wrecks off the Apostle islands in Bayfield. Water is guaranteed to be warmer than at the Hesper.

Re: Anyone been up to the Hesper lately? - tim - 07-08-2012

The hesper usually is a colder dive.  Something to do with the way the currents flow around the reef there.  But I have seen 60 deg bottom temp in August.