Remember me
Lost Password Register

Looking for ideas for 2003
12-05-2002, 07:32 AM,
"viz master" was (Re:Looking for ideas for 2003)
oh wow! my first dive job. "viz master"

i suppose we could use the secchi disk
in a horizontal way to measure vis. its
not meant for that but we could record vis
distance using it and see if it is useful.
it would be more standard than the rope
and buddy method (unless we all bought matching
viz master tanks and wet suits? Chris can
you finagle us a special discount for MN Scuba
Board viz masters at a shop near us? *snort*)

-chrisw
12-05-2002, 08:05 AM,
Re:Looking for ideas for 2003
I'm sure I can work something out Wink
12-05-2002, 09:29 AM,
Maybe we could create a class speciality: Vis Master. Charge huge amounts of money to teach it to divers.
Leon
12-05-2002, 10:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2002, 10:19 AM by freedivernd.)
We need more than one class specialty... Vis Master Basic, VM Advanced, VM Deep Water, and VM No Limits. Since it was thought up here on the board we could all be grandfathered in for free. When the big $$ start to roll in from the classes and the exorbitant prices we'll charge for secchi disks and rope, we'll need a treasurer... ahhhh, that could be me. Trust Me......

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-18-2003, 02:38 PM,
If you took the Secchi Disk under water, and had two divers swim away from each other, one holding the disk, the other hodling the tape meassure, you sould get a visibility reading, instead of Water clarity. Water clarity can be skewed by reflections on the water. I think you can see farther under water than you can from above the water. maybe we should all carry a disk made of steal, then we could wear less weights on our belt.
Big Grin
Family of five
All love to dive, Dennie
03-18-2003, 03:17 PM,
Re:Current Dive Conditions Database

Yep, that is the idea... And we hope to have it available for this dive season... at least version .01 Wink
03-18-2003, 03:47 PM,
Re:Current Dive Conditions Database

Yep, that is the idea... And we hope to have it available for this dive season... at least version .01 Wink
[/quote]
LOL...Hey Chris, did you notice you already replied to Dano's post back in December on the other page of this thread. Tongue I find my self still confused yet sometimes with the current thread on top yet. Also, when the thread has more than one page (like this one) it doesn't display the most recent page but rather the oldest. ???
03-18-2003, 06:51 PM,
About 2 years ago a friend and I contacted the DNR to offer information on the lakes if they were interested. Things like water clarity (horizontal and vertical), vegetation depth, fish population, etc. They never got back to use when we had information to pass on. We tried.

JoelW
03-18-2003, 07:46 PM,
Check out for Wisconsin lake clarity taken from space. It's run through the university system and may include Minnesota's lakes one day. No secchi disks required. ;D

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-19-2003, 09:45 AM,
Also (on the MN side) is:
Although I really wonder about the accuracy of some of the data in here. At least the lake maps are a plus. And we used this about 2 years ago to find some clear lakes up in Fred's neck of the woods.
(Detriot Lake , Perham etc...) It has both secchi disk and human viz readings.
As far as the posting of dive conditions etc...That sounds like a great idea. With our dive base , it wouldn't be surprising to have lake reports at least once a week for certain lakes
(Perch - Square etc..)

Cool Beans...
Jean

Big Grin
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH