Ice diving
12-14-2009, 09:01 AM,
Re: Ice diving
coworker was on the lake sat (12-12-09) and said ice was 4-6"
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
12-14-2009, 10:44 AM,
Hydro, did he also give a location or just an average from shore to his site?

I've been thinking about how it needs to be organized. I'm considering letting people meet&greet to find a team and then stay in that group to build collaboration. I'm not sure if setting a days system and asking everyone to use the same is safer then teaming NAUI as a group and PADI as a group (per say). that way they use what they prefer.

Any feedback on that? I can see both as valid if the teams stay together, no blending. If we allow adhoc teaming just before the dive, we MUST post one system and stick to it.

If the ice is good, I can do the 26th. If we can't drive on it, the wrecks are huge hike and we'll need a closer site with a hard bottom or something.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
12-14-2009, 12:59 PM,

Steve I want to dive NASDS! just messing with you,,,,,,,,,

Lets stick with that weekend after Christmas, site contingent upon ice thickness, (should be 6 below tonight) I agree with Steve the wrecks are way to far without driving on the ice, and you cant debate the benefits of a nice firm bottom, and where better to go in search of a nice firm bottom the Lake Minnetonka, even ice diving. Split up groups based on experience, sounds like it could work dandy!         Terry
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
12-14-2009, 01:11 PM,

he said he walked out maybe a hundred yards, he was just checking thickness nothing else.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
12-14-2009, 02:26 PM,
I was thinking of mixing the experience with the less if they agreed to help moderate any skill gaps. That's the meet and greet part. We'll have time to find buddies while opening the hole(s).

Terry, I'm going to need to see your YMCA card. You and Grumpie can go first. We'll order everyone by their C-card numbers unless those vintage guys show up. We'll order them by the age of the gear they use minus the size of the dive knife they carry.  Tongue

12-14-2009, 04:10 PM,

Dandy Steve!
                            I'm all about going first into the hole, actually have a YMCA card, dont mind diving with Grumpie at all, and was taught to never carry a knife, ice diving, (so no minus, at all!)  so for sure we'll be first!        Terry

Next, I'm going to start marking off my line, John where did you get that color code? I was thinking of just using the colors of the electromagnetic spectrum, marked every 25' on both lines, is everyone ok with that?  >Big Grin or do I just need to have, my own group, I'm sick of diving in the muck, so I'm going to name my group the, "firm bottom divers" sure people might read into that, but I like it! Maybe,,,,even rename the Impulse, from "Sudden Impulse" to "Firm Bottom Divers"
                                                                                      TRINITY
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
12-14-2009, 04:56 PM,

I am with you on that one Terry, no debate at all
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)
12-14-2009, 05:28 PM,
  A co-worker of mine who lives near the lake said today that the bays are froze over, about 4 inches of ice but the main part of the lake still has some open water, in particular around big island.  I haven't seen it myself, just passing on what I heard.  Not sure we'll be driving anywhere out there.
12-14-2009, 08:00 PM,
I talked to the guys from WP tonight and they said that the water arround big island is still open.
12-15-2009, 09:47 AM,
What's an alternate? Anything in Prior Lake? I kayaked it once and it had a hard bottom everyplace I could see it.

Is it worth looking for lost stuff over there then waiting for tonka to get crispy?

We can have the ice partly later in the year to give people time to finish class.