Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dump truck in mine
06-30-2010, 05:33 AM,
Re: Dump truck in mine
Dove the trucks again last night, thanks guy(and you to Kat) great dive.
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
06-30-2010, 05:38 AM,
We might need to name this dive site "Truk Lagoon North"  Wink
06-30-2010, 06:06 AM,

Hey John that's good but we already renamed it to 'Grand Theft Auto'

I have some really nice video I'll be posting shortly.
06-30-2010, 07:59 AM,
Myself and a few others along with Doug did a couple dives on the vehicles yesterday.  Tank 1 was around 3pm and was really good, direct overhead sun provided excellent vis and plenty of ambient light.  Tank 2 was around 6pm so it wasn't quite as good since the sun was starting to sink below the trees.

For anyone wanting to dive these...  I would recommend doing them in the bright sun if possible.  Both vehicles are very easy to find.  From the access just follow the dump truck tracks from shore straight down to the bottom (about 100'), you should come across the dump truck a little ways from the wall on a flat sandy bottom.  From the dump truck, head back to the wall and follow it east (your right) and keep an eye out in the sandy flats and you can't miss the van, like Doug said earlier it's about 50 - 75 feet from the truck.

Enjoy the videos,  they are not mine but the photographer graciously gave me permission to post them.

Van   
Dump Truck   
06-30-2010, 09:38 AM,
Anyone know how long the truck has been in the water?  Any noticeable fuel leaking etc?
06-30-2010, 10:12 AM,
I believe the dumptruck has been there for about 2 weeks (maybe 3 weeks) and the van went missing on June 5th or 6th. I haven't dove the two yet but Doug and Curtis said they didn't notice a slick on the surface or a stream of oil/fuel coming up. The radiators are not a sealed system, nor is the oil, nor is the fuel. It is possible that the vehicles have already emptied and dispersed into the water. I am going up there tomorrow night to check them out with Shooter.
06-30-2010, 10:46 AM,
Cool. Looking forward to your report.
06-30-2010, 10:01 PM,
Dove the mine tonight with the MSD fun dive.    Not sure if it was a DNR officer but I thought it was who asked us to look around for a third truck that is missing and they think was sunk into the pits.

We dove down to 100 feet looking for the van but did not find it in the few minutes we were at depth. 

Fun place, great vis, great time and the food was pretty good too.

Next time I go on the MSD fun dive, I think I'll be bringing a steak for the cook to grill for me while I'm diving  ;D
Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements.
06-30-2010, 10:45 PM,

If these systems aren't sealed, our shop would be very busy replacing motors. 

When we pulled a car out of a local lake that had been down on the bottom for 8 years it still had all those components in it.  When the air bags started lifting the car off the bottom, a fuel line must have cracked causing fuel to shoot to the surface.
07-01-2010, 05:14 AM,

Yup the DNR asked us to search for a 3rd truck. The 3rd vehicle is a 1 ton pickup with a dumper instead of a standard pickup box.  After my buddies and I had another look at the van we continued east along the wall, four abreast, for quite a ways and there was no sign of another vehicle.  On our way back we searched another ledge at 30' and again, no vehicle.

Anyone else diving it in the next few days should try going west.  Good luck!