Remember me
Lost Password Register

New heads-up technology
04-23-2003, 01:37 PM,
Re:New heads-up technology
Question: how would you relay that info to your buddies? By whipping out the wetnotes and writing it all down? Or do you have a switch so your buddy can see you info as well? Why not carry an UW LCD projector which is transmits through the HID light so you can project your data on the bottom of the lake.
Or maybe by carrying a backup bottom timer on your wrist, which then would negate the entire concept alltogether?!

LOL
04-23-2003, 01:54 PM,
Question: how would you relay that info to your buddies?

Always thinking DIR I see....(I also have that problem some days)

I would answer this question very simply. Hand Signals.... Do you really try to hand your pressure gauge to your buddy when diving or do you check it your self and then use hand signals????

Smile I like new toys.
Chris Bloss
04-23-2003, 02:10 PM,
How about the headsets are connected via a wireless protocol (like some sort of underwater wifi)? The divers are networked and can share information. If I can play halflife (multiplayer video game) against some guy on the other side of the planet why can't I exchange depth, air, etc with my buddy 5 feet away? I tell you what, in 20 years this type of tech will be the norm. Technology hasn't caught up with diving yet.
--Jason
04-23-2003, 08:51 PM,

yeah, let's just hope Bill Gates doesn't find out - could you imagine the kind of ridiculous upgrades you would have to buy each year - seems to me the dive industry has that one already figured out quite well (LOL)...

Maybe on the next version of the VR3 you might be able to play wireless games against your buddy whilst UW - and what was the reason I went diving again...?!
04-24-2003, 09:27 AM,
I saw the Cochran version of this mask at DEMA a few years ago. They advertised it for the longest time, but it never came out on a commercial basis.

They made an already large mask even bigger. The frame was extra large to hold the electronics and batteries. I can't imagine actually having to wear that thing on my face. :'(

It goes without saying that i distrust electronis and water enough that I would never even consider using it. It would look cool on a TV show. 8)

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
04-24-2003, 10:48 AM,
Yeah, I really hate larger profile masks. That would really suck. Also masks wear out after awhile. The silicone gets harder and they don't seal as well anymore. Then what...you scrap the whole thing? Instead of just replacing a mask you replace the whole thing because it's an integrated unit? How about if some idiot kicks off your mask or you break a mask strap and lose your mask over the wall at Wazee?
04-24-2003, 06:37 PM,
I like the UW WI-FI idea. Although it would be a great way to kill some time at saftey stop with games, depending on the range it could be really usefull. If you could get a signal back to the boat, I think that would be the ticket. The boat could warn you of sudden changes in surface conditions, or if another group in the water is battling a giant squid. Or if your the one battling the squid you could warn and/or beg others for assistance. Maybe even have someone on the boat that you could describe things to, and they can tell you what it is. "It's big, has 6 arms and is licking it's chops." Reply from expert on boat "It will soon suck to be you."
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
04-25-2003, 07:58 AM,
You could send messages like:

Please to be removing my body from the water after you watch me[move]die [/move] !

Give my SCUBA gear to _______.

I didn't think the squid would get so made when I poked it in the eye.
04-26-2003, 12:55 PM,
Igotoofar: Fill that blank on: Give my scuba gear to: JEAN
Thanks in advance!!! Wink
Jean
P.S. DON'T YOU DARE!!!!
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
04-26-2003, 06:36 PM,
Not sure I would want to aquire gear that took a tour through the intestinal (do they have intestines?) track of a giant squid. Much to hard to get the smell out. ;D

But if I ever do get devoured by a monster of the deep, any gear that survives you are more than welcome to Jean. ;D
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom