Remember me
Lost Password Register

BP and WINGS or BC
04-04-2003, 01:00 PM,
Re:BP and WINGS or BC
Sorry to interject here, not trying to throw my opinion in anyone's face, but I have several hundred dives on my bp harness, and I have a quick release. It is showing no signs of fatigue, and even if it did break on a dive, you still have a waist and a second shoulder strap to hold the unit in place. I experimented with exiting Ginny Springs from 1500 ft in with my quick release unbuckled. No problems. If you're really concerned with it being a failure point, bring a small piece of rope on your dive, you can always do a quick fix on it. Many people have no problems getting out of their single webbing harnesses and that's great, but I've also watched several of my buddies do the crappie flop trying to get out. You know who you are. I think this board is awesome, nice not to be called a stroke when asking insightful questions!!! Rock on guys.

Happy diving,
Richard
Scuba Dive and Travel<br />4423 Nicollet Ave. So.<br />Minneapolis, MN 55419<br />612-823-7210<br />www.scubadiveandtravel.com<br />scubadivetravel@qwestoffice.net
04-04-2003, 01:12 PM,
You make a good point and offer a good solution, but I'm just not comfortable with it. It really is not necessary for diving, just convenience, so if you see those crappies at the dive site, i'll be one of them Smile

~groovekitty*
04-04-2003, 01:42 PM,
Nothing to add
I don't really have anything to add... I'm just finding myself going:

Hey, that makes sense...
Oh, yeah! That makes sense...
Wait, good point!

I love having two opposing opinions, makes things interesting!
04-04-2003, 02:41 PM,
Yeah, it is great to have different views/approaches. Scour the web, read books, chit chat with other divers on-line but it finally it's gonna boil down to real time experience figuring out what works for you.
04-06-2003, 02:40 PM,

I didn't care for the tank straps that came with my Halcyon BP&W and switched to the ScubaPro tank straps. I like the SP straps so much better. That was 2 or 3 years ago. Now Halcyon has different straps that seem pretty good. I also use the SP weight pockets on my waist strap, so much cheaper than Halcyons weight system. They work excellent if you don't like using a weight belt.

Derrick
04-08-2003, 08:03 AM,
being a new diver i am still a bouyancy spaz...

just wondering if switching from BC to BP/WINGs
will cause more me bouyancy problems? or will it "help"?

isnt the lift more from the back in BP/WINGS than a BC?
04-08-2003, 08:27 AM,
I have never heard of a bp/wing increasing bouyancy problems. Every single person I know diving this rig has experienced improved trim and bouyancy.

The bladder of the wing is on your back, hence the lift is on the back -- same thing as a back inflate BC though.

I think the two big advantages of a bp/wing are: the streamlined configuration and the secure fit.
--Jason
04-08-2003, 08:27 AM,
IMO a backplate/Wing is easier to achieve good horizontal trim but I wouldn't say it's necessarily better for good buoyancy as that just comes with a lot of practice and time in the water to get down. I have a 6lb. stainless steel backplate with a 2lb. single tank adaptor. I like having the extra weight on my back as it improves my horizontal trim and reduces the amount of weight I need to carry on my weight belt. Also the BP/Wing is much more streamlined and when doing a frog kick you glide through the water with much less drag than a BC. As far as wings go you only want as much lift as you need. Too big of a wing increases drag and runs more of risk for trapping air. You shouldn't need a wing with any more than 40 pounds of lift for single tank diving, I have 36lb wing. The bigger wings are suited for diving doubles.
04-08-2003, 10:17 AM,
And just when I was getting used to the duck and wiggle. (With me its more of a tilt and shake!!!)
(I have bp/w with no quick release)
ANd thanks for the discussion. Interesting points on both sides!!!
Now where did I leave that prybar????

Thanks...Jean ;D
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
05-13-2003, 07:59 AM,
Not that I can afford either right now... but would I be out of the loop if I picked up a B.C.? I'm thinking maybe I'd scuba more if I didn't have to rent equipment.. yeah right.. Wink does anyone rent back plate and wing? I would imagine someday I will get more scuba equipment, for the little s.diving I would be doing would it matter (backplate/wing or bc). Guess I don't plan as of now to be doing any tech/cave or super deep diving in the near or far future (maybe I'm kinda chicken).. unless it's free. Wink.
And what about cost.. B&W cost is about what? I know about what a bc runs. One more question.. what about fit. Does a B&W fit a wider range of body types than a B.C. would? Say medium to large to extra large?
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?