Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wazee report
07-12-2005, 08:57 AM,
Re: Wazee report
I would think it was...
07-12-2005, 12:31 PM,
I'd guesstimate that it was around that size.

I'll be heading out there this weekend, so if a ball isn't in place yet I'll put the one I have in my basement down there.  I'd hate to see someone spend actual money on putting a gazing ball in the lake!
Everyone spends the first nine months of their life in water - the lucky ones make frequent return visits.
07-13-2005, 07:44 AM,
I will be camping out at Wazee Friday night, and putting in a new gazing ball on Saturday morning if anyone wants to join me for the ceremony Smile
Everyone spends the first nine months of their life in water - the lucky ones make frequent return visits.
07-16-2005, 07:15 PM,
Well, the gazing ball replacement didn't go as planned.  On the first dive, I brought the new ball down.  I pushed the bowling ball aside, only to find that the old gazing ball had been caulked in place with what must have been a whole tube of caulk.  So, I tried busting the old ball out of the holder with some rocks but it got *really* silted *really* quick.  After working in no viz for awhile I decided to haul the whole setup back to the surface.

I got the old ball and caulk pulled out, and had the new ball all prepped.  I had put some sand in it and then filled it with water.  I taped the end shut so the sand would stay inside and weigh it down...I set the gazing ball in the shallows in preperation for the next dive...and it tapped against a rock and broke.  ARRGGHH.

Sooo...I put the mount back down with the bowling ball in it again.

I even ran into town to try and find another ball, but no one had any in stock.  BUMMER.  I'll have to try again some other time...in the meantime, guess we'll have to live w/ the bowling ball.
07-18-2005, 09:23 AM,
They brake more easily than I would have thought.  It a bummer that you had problems.  Maybe we should put a light house down there to warn against the low viz of the site and to warn off disaster.  I think thats what my contribution will be.  I like the gazing ball but the only ones that will survive are the solid steal ones.  Maybe a mirror would add to the site more that the ball.  Just thought of that, and a mirror would be pretty cool.  No problems crushing that, and a little stand would make seeing yourself easy, also It would reflect light.  I might just have to put one in place this weekend. 
Go Big, or go home!
07-18-2005, 10:26 AM,

Thanks for trying.  ;D

Perhaps if the gazing ball was filled with epoxy it might not break so easily???  :-\
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
07-20-2005, 02:51 PM,
I was thinking of something along those lines...maybe putting something inside of the ball to toughen it up a little.

I'll keep thinking about it...
07-20-2005, 03:04 PM,

Do you think the ball needs to be caulked to the pedestal?  Other than errant fin strokes there are no currents down there.
07-20-2005, 03:45 PM,
Something has to happen to keep the ball on the base because even the angle down there is knocked over every other time I'm down there.  I keep placing it back up, and then the next time I'm down there its over again. 
Go Big, or go home!
07-29-2005, 07:25 AM,
Re: Wazee report - gazing ball?
So... has the gazing ball been replaced?
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy