Remember me
Lost Password Register

Superior Oct 4
09-10-2003, 09:23 AM,
Re:Superior Oct 4
Ah...Did we forget to mention the "slope" of the path down to the shore??? Its nasty going back in the "up" direction. But the path is much easier than trying to climb up elsewhere (like down closer to the wreck) At least my scars are almost healed!!! Smile

Jean Smile
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
09-10-2003, 10:22 AM,
The driveway for the parking lot is about 3/4 mile past the entrance to Split Rock State Park on Highway 61 North (and about 50 miles North of Duluth). There is also a small kiosk at the parking lot that talks about the wreck. The MN Historical Society site is very good for details about the wreck but their drawing sucks. The drawing will give you a general idea about the wreck though if you haven't been there. The buoys marking the bow and stern may or may not be there in October - depends on when they decide to pull them out. Plans have been floated around for a better path and lot but with budgetary concerns who knows? At least the Hesper access is finally coming together.
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
09-10-2003, 11:39 AM,
It is? When Jason and I dove there over Memorial Day weekend it was pretty rough climbing over all them huge rocks on the breakwall. It was also quite tricky getting into the water safely climbing off the big boulders and not having a bottom to get any footing on in the water. I'd like to see some sort of a dock or platform there. Also, it's even worse if there is any kind of surge there as well which slams you into the breakwall. That's how I lost my fin. :Smile
09-14-2003, 07:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2003, 07:53 PM by LKunze.)
It is? When Jason and I dove there over Memorial Day weekend it was pretty rough climbing over all them huge rocks on the breakwall. It was also quite tricky getting into the water safely climbing off the big boulders and not having a bottom to get any footing on in the water. I'd like to see some sort of a dock or platform there. Also, it's even worse if there is any kind of surge there as well which slams you into the breakwall. That's how I lost my fin. :Smile
[/quote]
You're right Todd. The improved access is much nicer with the concrete stairs added onto the existing breakwall. We did two dives on the Hesper today. Here is a pic of the access. Smile

Attached Files
.jpg   DSC01468.JPG (Size: 80.71 KB / Downloads: 64)
.jpg_thumb   DSC01468.JPG_thumb (Size: 31.57 KB / Downloads: 0)
09-14-2003, 07:55 PM,
Here is another shot of the Hesper access.

Attached Files
.jpg   DSC01466.JPG (Size: 96.54 KB / Downloads: 59)
.jpg_thumb   DSC01466.JPG_thumb (Size: 39.3 KB / Downloads: 0)
09-15-2003, 08:10 AM,
Cool picture Lonnie! Thanks everyone for all the info. If the buoys are gone how far out is the wreck? For the Madeira. As far as I know Missy and I are still planning to go. Jean are you gonna go? Dan you said it was possible have you decided? Linda
If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they are--Will Rogers
09-15-2003, 09:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-15-2003, 09:19 AM by LKunze.)
Linda, I'm guessing it's pretty close to 100 yards out to the deep buoy and less than that to the shallow buoy. If you look in the picture link I've attached of the Madeira site, if you surface swim out pretty close to the point of Gold Rock Cliff in the background and descend you'll come right down over the wreck. It's very easy to find since it's a large wreck. Also, their are some nice signs up now on the stairway leading down to the beach that has a map of the wreck.
09-15-2003, 09:18 AM,
Here is a link with some more info. on the Madeira.
09-15-2003, 09:53 AM,
Aaargh...
We are invited to a wedding on Oct 4! No diving for me.
Lindan, interested in Oct 11???
Sorry.
Dan

Note - Lonnie is right, wreck is easy to find. The buoys help, and I think they should still be in place then. Anyone know when they get pulled out?
Dan L
09-16-2003, 07:46 AM,
Yeah Oct 11th is a possbility. Probably Wazee or Crosby though. Linda
If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they are--Will Rogers