Remember me
Lost Password Register

camera gun
11-30-2003, 09:20 PM,
camera gun
Since we are only allowed to spear certain fish in Wisconsin, like panfih and rough fish, I wanted to be able to take picutres of all those nice game fish htat I come across while freediving. I had been carrying a camera on my float, but by time I dropped my speargun, which is clipped to my float, and grabbed my camera, the fish was gone.

This lead me to make a camera mount for my spaergun. It still needs some fine tunning but This is how she looks so far.

Jon

Attached Files
.jpg   camera_gun_1.jpg (Size: 56.58 KB / Downloads: 98)
.jpg_thumb   camera_gun_1.jpg_thumb (Size: 25.79 KB / Downloads: 0)
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
11-30-2003, 09:24 PM,
Re:camera gun
Here's a shot of a fish that didn't get away. Wink

No, I didn't shoot him with the gun, just the camera. ;D

Water was 40 degrees and the vis was around 15' in Lake Mendota today. We got cold spearfishing after about an hour and a half, whcih happens when your just sitting on the bottom as still as can be waiting for them to swim up to you.

So, we warmed up a bit and grabbed the monofins instead for some play time in the deeper water. Once we started swimming around we could have stayed in for hours. It's amazing how a little movement can warm you up very qucikly. 8)
Jon

Attached Files
.jpg   walleye_1.jpg (Size: 37.77 KB / Downloads: 93)
.jpg_thumb   walleye_1.jpg_thumb (Size: 25.96 KB / Downloads: 0)
12-01-2003, 10:18 PM,
Say Jon... ahh.. hey, don't take any pictures of me while you're a spear fishin' o.k.?
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
12-03-2003, 06:54 AM,
Me either! That tennis ball looks dangerous!

next step... digital rangefinder, plot firing solution, hit them on the run?

Seriously, any spearfishing legal in Mn? Like fred, I'm a Nodak who spends lots of time in West-Central Mn, and I sure would like to hunt a few now and then.
Non-divers seem so,  well,  shallow.
12-03-2003, 08:18 AM,
The camera can just unscrew off the mount if I want to take a picture of a diver.

We usually space ourselves apart, and have our guns attached to surface floats to maintian that distance, while spearfishing.

I believe that only rough fish our leagal in Minnesota. I think North Dakota will let you shoot nything that moves. ;D

Wisconsin is rough fish and panfish.
12-03-2003, 01:09 PM,
Neat mod there Jon. Is there any problem with the gun getting into the picture though since the camera is mounted back so far?
12-03-2003, 03:11 PM,
I just zoom in until the barrel is no longer visible.

jon
09-02-2004, 11:39 AM,
Fred,

Here's a few shots that you'll enjoy. Wink

These were taken with my camera mounted onto my speargun.

I put my digital camera into video mode and then captured a few of the stills off of the video clip. I know that they aren't the sharpest, but until I get a full time video camera mounted on there it still looks pretty cool. 8)

Jon

Attached Files
.jpg   carp_shoot.jpg (Size: 24.91 KB / Downloads: 100)
.jpg_thumb   carp_shoot.jpg_thumb (Size: 8.24 KB / Downloads: 0)