Remember me
Lost Password Register

Octi vs. Spare Air
03-02-2004, 09:37 PM,
Re:Octi vs. Spare Air
Jason,

I'm sorry, but I feel that I may have been misunderstood in my last post. If anything, I'm saying that right now I'm almost paranoid about the idea of running out of air underwater. I bought the computer partly so I can keep a good idea of how much air time I've got left at my current consumption rate so I can avoid the problem of running out of air....not so I can just forget about it.
03-02-2004, 10:04 PM,
Paranoia is okay. It's fear that causes trouble. Wink You have a healthy sense of your own well-being.

I took your comment a little out of context just to have some fun and make a point.

If you follow a preset dive plan and stay within recreational limits you won't have any problems.
--Jason
03-03-2004, 08:24 AM,

I agree. I almost always carry a redundant air supply (pony or bail out bottle) and I have had the opportunity to share that with a dive buddy who was out of air. My personal feeling is that for the small amount of bulk it adds, it's well worth carrying in almost any diving situation. Even if you can make a free swimming ascent, your much better off making a controlled ascent with a safety stop.

I also agree wholeheartedly with DRE's explanation of the usefullness of a Spare air.

As far as cold water regs, I have never experienced a free flow (other than simulating it myself) but I have witnessed A LOT of them. Some of them were second stage freeze ups, and some first. I'm sure the people at your local dive shop can give you some reccomendations on which regs are suitable for cold water. My personal feeling is that the Octo should be a good quality reg as well. Lets face it when you or your buddy is using your Octo, your breathing rate is probably going to be higher than normal, do you really want to hand some one a second class regulator in an emergency?

Just my $.02 worth.
03-03-2004, 10:32 AM,
No problem with the humor. Smile Just being new to diving and knowing that I'll be looking for dive buddies on here, I don't want to start out with a reputation that I'm not concerned for my safety or those who dive with me. Smile That's definitely not the case.

I agree about the issue of using a second class octi and am not sure I'd want to trust it. I just thought I'd ask you more experienced guys about what you think of it. I'll probably wind up buying a better one. Thanks for all the input.
03-03-2004, 03:53 PM,
Brian,
I think yo have a very healthy approach to diving and your equipment purchases. There is nothing wrong with asking questions..I promise you that some of the people on the site will give you a little smack if you mis-speak..They are only trying make a point. It is done in a friendly matter. Its good that you dont take it personally. You will find..1) that they pick up on everything, and 2) that they give crap about it because they care. We all love the sport. Keep in mind a couple of things. You will find that you worries about air consumption will settle after a short while of diving. It will become natural to keep a close eye on your air, it will eventually come to a point where you will know how much air you have at any point during your dive, give or take a couple hundred psi without looking. Never skimp when it comes to purchasing equipment. Its an expensive sport...for good reason...we are breathing under water here....

Do you research on your equipment.. keep an eye on what other people that are diving in matching environments are using. ask questions..read...etc. There are a lot of great products out there. Spend your money on the core basics...save your money when it comes to the fun frilly stuff.

Dive dive dive dive ....thats how you get better
Have fun
Dean
Oops Did I really say that?????