Remember me
Lost Password Register

Square Lake platform lines
05-06-2004, 08:02 AM,
Re:Square Lake platform lines
I have never dove any bof the platforms at Square lake so I am not sure of their location. does the line run within 100 feet of the public access point? if not the the line should be fine. according to Washington Co. ord 132. and MN stat. 86b
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
05-06-2004, 10:19 PM,
If you talk to the old school divers, they talk about having lines running way back "then". Why is this all of a sudden an issue? Also, when there are fifty OW classes out there on a given day, you can't see anything which creates an invitation to lose begining students very easily. Boats are the last danger on the list to students. A student Losing a class or instructor is the bigger danger. Square is a good lake for beginners, they gotta go somewhere and the lines keep it a positive experience for them Big Grin
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
05-07-2004, 10:28 AM,
I'm really not sure what the issue is here.

Divers are going to travel from Golden Acres to the park regardless of whether there is a line or not. So why not make it easy on them by running a line? There is no more danger involved by having a line. The only thing the line is going to do is assist people in getting back safely. If anything, the diver is in more danger if he gets lost & has to surface to get their bearing.

I guess some people just need to feel empowered by cutting lines.
05-07-2004, 07:27 PM,
I dont dive the lake, and maybe should not really comment on it, but i find it hard not to..if only for this reason.

I find it odd that someone out there takes it upon themself to decide what i, as a diver wants or needs, or does not want or does not need. If the lines are there...fine....i may use them if i so choose. Who are you to decide that i should not?

If they are put there and i dont like them..i dont use them...I DONT CUT THEM!!!!

Oops Did I really say that?????
05-07-2004, 11:26 PM,
I don't think Dirk cares whether we use the line. He is worried about newbie divers using the line and getting run over by boaters. I can understand his viewpoint. The question is whether this concern is valid.
--Jason
05-08-2004, 11:38 AM,
Well if you read the boating rules divers need to have a flag No more than 4 divers no more than 50 feet boats need to stay away by 150 feet Granted a lot of boaters don't know but from experience you get there number and turn it in they do get the ticket.
I seem to get a charge out of those (stores) that put out training platforms and guide lines then think that they are theirs exclusively. Hey it is public waters, There are liabilities involved and when you put something that is an obstruction you are liable. I did some training at Ore BE Gon on the platforms there. Tall Pine Scuba came and I was going to move, but they said hey your here this is for everyone and I use one corner and they used the other and it all went great.They even shared snacks and pop with us. Great guys
05-19-2004, 08:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2004, 08:09 AM by lrmoll.)
I like the compass headings but I also like lines.
How about MNSCUBA putting a marker on shore and then a compass heading list on this web site. As things change or are learned it could be updated on line and posted with the marker. ???

Have you heard about the hobby called geocaching using gps units. How about a form for divers? One diver leaves a box with an object in it. Posts the compass heading from marker and distance to it. Other divers find it, take an object leave an object. Post their findings here.

| |MNSCUBA.C0M |
| | |
| | |
Leon
05-27-2004, 08:30 PM,
That is a great Idea, kind of like a underwater dynamic compass course. Did some in the military lots of fun but got lost on occasion :Smile