Remember me
Lost Password Register

North shore buddy
05-07-2004, 11:30 AM,
North shore buddy
Looking for a buddy to dive the north shore wrecks. I have dove the madeira but would like to dive the hesper and ely and america also this year. Anyone interested? 8)
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
05-07-2004, 11:47 AM,
Re:North shore buddy
Yeah, I usually get up to the north shore at least twice a year for camping/diving. Keep in mind you need a boat to get to the Ely wreck. The America wreck is out at Isle Royal so obviously that one needs a boat as well. The Madeira and Hesper are about the only two wrecks on the north shore that you can swim to from shore I believe. The Hesper access is much easier than the Madeira and has a shorter swim to the wreck as well as being much shallower. Only about 30 to 40 feet deep.
05-07-2004, 12:22 PM,
Cool. I'm up for that. Let me know if you need a buddy and when and i'll be there.
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
05-11-2004, 10:26 AM,
Hi Shamre, let me know when you are heading up and if you need a buddy I only get up there one time a year and would love to make it more. Depending on how many people go I have a small boat. (to small for the America Sad though )
05-11-2004, 11:53 AM,
What kind of boat? Is it like a kodiak inflatable semi rigid? Or does it require a launch site? 8)
05-11-2004, 04:10 PM,
Hi, it's a 14' Zodiac. I have a trailer for it and have taken it from launches to the Madeira and Ely. It can be deflated and carried down to shore but it takes awhile to setup.
05-11-2004, 04:31 PM,
cool i am up for that. That would also giv you access to some of the other wrecks too. There names escape me for right now so i will look them up and post them here. I know there is one in a river up there and another one by knife island or something like that. 8) better get the details first before i say anymore.
05-11-2004, 04:35 PM,
Here is a link you can start with, it has a good map and history of the wrecks. there is another site I have book marked at home that list all the GPS coordinates I can post later.
05-12-2004, 04:06 AM,
Does it require a special permit to dive the Ely? I mean because you are kind of diving in a shipping lane.
05-12-2004, 05:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-12-2004, 10:08 AM by LKunze.)
No permit required. The wreck is over pretty close to shore and has a breakwater in front of it so it's out of the way enough from the shipping lane.