Remember me
Lost Password Register

Madeira Parking Temporarily Closed
06-01-2004, 02:55 PM,
Re:Madeira Parking Temporarily Closed
If the parking lot is on State Park land, a yearly State Parks Pass should cover any parking fee - the pass runs, I believe, $25.00 per year, you can also get an extra one (if you have two cars or 'go-in' with a buddy) for $20.00.

Although I've never done a shore entry dive on the Maderia, from all accounts it was difficult at best. If this truly makes entry safer & easier, a small fee would be worth it. Hopefully the State won't try to control diver access to the Madeira in any other way.

The same State Park Pass would allow you access to Lake Louise State Park, a perfect jumping point into Portsmouth Pit Lake in Croby.
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
06-04-2004, 10:04 AM,
I can give some background on some of the questions I see on the board since GLSPS has been working with the DNR to improve the access for quite a few years. Things do move very slowly in government. I apologize for the length of this reply. Back in 1997 we were approached by the Minnesota Parks and Trails Council to support them in acquiring the land parcel including Gold Rock Point for inclusion to Split Rock State Park. The Conco Company, who owned it and who administers the Congdon trust holdings, wanted to sell the property. The last thing we wanted to see was restricted private land and condominiums built on Gold Rock Point. It was one of the few if not the only remaining privately owned high overlook points on the North Shore that did not have a castle built on it, and it was the intention of the Parks and Trails Council to keep it in its undeveloped state. Unfortunately the reality is that the only way that happens now-a-days is if it is included in a park. The Minnesota Parks and Trails Council is an non-profit organization that works with the DNR to acquire choice land for inclusion in state parks. Minnesota law prohibits the DNR from bidding against private companies for land so the independent non-profit Parks and Trails Council acts as an intermediary and buys the land then willingly sells it to the state. We supported this action and attended meetings and tried to keep the diving community appraised of what was happening so they could participate in the process. We really didn't have enough money to do much to financially support it. The process was completed on Sept 12, 1998 when the Council turned over the parcel of land to the DNR for inclusion into the park. We were aware that things most likely would change, but have been working with the DNR to make sure that the point stays open even when the park is closed, but yes you might well have to pay a state park fee. We felt it was a small price to pay to guarantee that the access stays open. After that we have been working with the Park to improve the access and have invited and welcome comments and opinions toward that goal. One of the impediments we hit in that process was that the DNR does not like to develop a public access to a private historical site at least not without a willing owner. At the time the Madeira salvage rights were privately owned by a corporation created by Lee Opheim who did some minimal salvage back in the 1960's. Lee died in December 1998. In the spring of 2000 GLSPS secured the salvage rights in a donation from Lee's partner Donald Wise, who was administering the assets of the corporation. That cleared the final albeit minor hitch to improving the access. The park showed us the proposal for the improvements several years ago. We voiced a concern about the having to check in at the park and suggested just leaving it open for anyone to use. We were told that if they did that the parking lot would be overrun by bicyclists using the bicycle trail and divers would be pushed out by a much larger user group. We again agreed. Our obligation and goal is to work to make sure that divers have good access to the site and keeping it sometimes requires continual monitoring of conditions. Two things we have learned in working with government entities is that they tend to listen to organized groups more than individuals, and if you want something done, you have to be persistent. Our persistence paid off for the Hesper access. Had the GLSPS not be persistent, the divers access would have literally been dropped from the plan. We are optimistic that the changes will be positive. I think we also acknowledge that things will probably not be what we want at first. I encourage you to voice your concerns to the park and carbon GLSPS. GLSPS will gladdly continue pushing for any needed changes over the long term. If you email info@glsps.org the message will get to the access committee chairman. If you are interested in any more of the details on the background of the process, there were regular articles in our newsletters starting in Spring 1997 (See under Newsletter Archive). By the way, the path was supposed to be improved to a class 5 I believe is the term. I apologize that we don't have a hard copy of the plan to put on the web. I suspect by the time we would get it now you will be able to see the changes first hand.
06-04-2004, 11:34 AM,
Ken, thanks for sharing the history behind this project. My way of thanking the GLSPS for their hard work is by renewing my membership each year. I hope others on this forum choose to do the same. I look forward to seeing the improvements at the site.
--Jason
06-04-2004, 12:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-04-2004, 12:51 PM by igotoofar.)
Ken, that was most likely the most informative post put on this site in a while Wink

The lesson here The Government moves very very slowly.
06-04-2004, 01:18 PM,
I will be doing dives off the madeira next weekend for a master class and have heard from several people that it is okay if you park off the road. This is according to the split rock state park office. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard this or not?
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
06-04-2004, 01:28 PM,
I will be up there this weekend, I will try and stop in and ask if I get the chance.
06-07-2004, 08:38 AM,
I checked at split rock parking on 61, the person I talked to said they did not want people parking on the shoulder. They are scheduled to complete construction of the parking lot at the end of June, if the weather cooperates. Looks like they are making good progress the lot is paved.
06-07-2004, 09:04 AM,
I am getting conflicting messages. When i called they said it was okat to park on shoulder and now you are telling me they say it is not okay. Just wondering which one is correct. I have a bunch of checkout dives off the madeira in less than a week and need to know that status of the parking situation....... Please help?
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
06-07-2004, 09:23 AM,
Um.

Call the office again yourself and report this conflicting
info when you ask for confirmation?

Ask the instructor of your class if he/she has made arrangements
for parking at the site?
06-07-2004, 10:17 AM,
Sorry I didn't get the name of the person I talked to, could just be a matter of one of the people not being updated on a decision. But Ken who is very informed on what is going on up there says 'Parking is prohibited on Highway 61' which is what I was told, the the person I talked to seemed to be very knowledgeable about the work and what is being planned.