Remember me
Lost Password Register

Madeira Parking Temporarily Closed
06-07-2004, 11:40 AM,
Re:Madeira Parking Temporarily Closed
Okay here is the scoop-called the dnr who told me to contact split rock state park office- called them and was told parking would be closed but should be opened by this weekend. The person i spoke to said there would be a gate and a sign indicating for divers to check in with split rock state park office to get key for gate to parking lot........

any questions call #218.226.6377
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
06-07-2004, 12:00 PM,
Sounds like the end of June cam up faster then they thought Wink Thanks Shamre.
06-07-2004, 12:38 PM,
I spoke with a state trooper who told me that it is legal to park on hwy 61 in that area as long as you are not obstructing traffic and are not staying for an extended period i.e. camping. Even if you were to be in violation they would mark the car and then you would have 4 hours to move it. The county will not tag anything along 61. He did also indicate that the state patrol had been told by Mn DOT that it would be finished this weekend.

The parking on 61 woulld also apply if the park is closed or the lot is full.
06-08-2004, 03:25 PM,
Here's an update from Lisa Angelos on how to check on parking availability. She also poses a question about how the park rangers should identify divers (other than by web feet). Since the parking lot is only for divers they need to know what they should require as proof. Below is the text of the email:
Ken:
You're very welcome. I think the best thing to do is to ask divers to email us at splitrock.lighthouse@dnr.state.mn.us to request updates--that way we will be able to provide the most current information. Right now it looks as though the project may be finished by the end of June. I have a question for you: as we are about to begin providing diver-only access, we are looking for valid ways to identify someone as a legitimate diver: Would every diver be inclined to carry a C-card? Are there other types of club cards or id that would work well for this purpose? Insight appreciated. Thanks much.
Lisa Angelos, Assistant Manager
Split Rock Lighthouse State Park

>>> "Merryman, Kenneth E" <kmerryman@glsps.org> 5/28/2004 12:39:29 PM >>>

I'd like to say thanks for the letter about parking being closed for the diver access to the shipwreck Madeira at Split Rock State Park. I will post the information on our website to try to inform as many divers as possible. Could you put the status of the parking lot construction on the Split Rock Website so we can refer divers to a place for information updates as to when the parking will open again? I'd also like to say thanks for putting in the access. Our organization the Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society is happy to work with you in promoting access to these shore sites.

Thanks again,

Ken Merryman
GLSPS Corresponding Secretary & Webmaster
E-Mail: kmerryman@glsps.org

06-21-2004, 08:16 AM,
So who went up to the Maderia this weekend? How is the new “modern” dive site? (I still miss the mud lot, nasty trail and rock climb… :'( )
06-21-2004, 08:45 PM,
The lot was closed. We had to park behind a barrier (see photos). Looks like another layer of asphalt needs to be added to the lot area - maybe a couple days work. Ranger who stopped by had no idea when the work would be finished.
The layout is this - a road is paved from Hwy 61 back maybe 75 yards. It opens out to the left into a somewaht rounded rectangular parking lot with space for maybe 20 cars.
Attached are two pics - the first looks back from where the road starts to open into the lot. The second shot shows the road and how it breaks left to the lot. The trail head is also shown.
It's now about 100 paces from the ashalt to the top of the steps, but its still the somewhat steep, rocky slippery trail that it always was. No word on whether trail improvement is planned.

Attached Files
.jpg   madiera-lot-1.jpg (Size: 73.17 KB / Downloads: 48)
.jpg_thumb   madiera-lot-1.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.5 KB / Downloads: 0)
Dan L
06-21-2004, 08:45 PM,
See post below - this is picture #2

Attached Files
.jpg   madiera-lot-2.jpg (Size: 70.48 KB / Downloads: 52)
.jpg_thumb   madiera-lot-2.jpg_thumb (Size: 34.07 KB / Downloads: 0)
Dan L