Remember me
Lost Password Register

Poll: Fahrenheit 9/11-will you go see it?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
no i will not see this movie
72.73%
16 72.73%
yes i will see this movie.
27.27%
6 27.27%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

fahrenheit 9/11
06-26-2004, 12:42 PM,
Re:fahrenheit 9/11
I think the More Moore talks the better, he says what every other liberal thinks but doesn't have the guts to say. Let him talk so the world will know how messed up in the head all the liberals are- he is making a mockery of his political postion. No person with half a brain really thinks that Bush is in bed with Osama for oil...I will not being seeing the film b/c I don't want to give him my money- but these films are great because it shows America who these liberals really are.
06-26-2004, 02:07 PM,
I will not see the movie..I already know how much of an asshole Moore is. Its times like these that we find out who true Americans are...sometimes I wish we were back in the day...when people like this were taken care of as traitors...
Oops Did I really say that?????
06-26-2004, 02:09 PM,
it looks like i was cencored there. my words has an A, and two SS, and had the word hole in it as well....i did not write " not a very nice person"

just had to clarify
Oops Did I really say that?????
06-26-2004, 06:44 PM,

I find it interesting that you embrace your freedom of speech and expression to post whatever your opinion is on the internet but you would like to see that same freedom taken from others. That's a very dangerous path to go down - do you remember your 20th c. European history?!

I personally don't necessarily agree with Moore's political and sociological assertions, but I do grant him his freedom of speech and free expression, regardless of his views. It is this freedom, which sets the civilization this country is based upon, apart from the rest of the world - to even question this most basic of rights, IMO is treasonous. Use your own intellect to determine the validity of his claims, but don't hide behind a populist call for censorship!
06-27-2004, 07:52 AM,
I agree with you DRE. If we want the freedom to speak our minds and not be censored then we have to take the good with the bad. When we start persecuting people because of what they say and take away these freedoms then we are moving in the direction of communism. Now i don't neccessarily agree with what moore says or believes but i do believe that he has a right to his opinions and that right extends to all americans........
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
06-27-2004, 04:47 PM,
WOW! This is a thread for REC.SCUBA.com! Wink

Seeing as how most scuba divers, especially tec-divers, are almost 99% Middle-aged, uppper-middle class, white males I guess the venom incased in some of these posts shouldn't suprise me, or anyone else. Unfortunately for all of you there are just a few other out there who disagree- like approximently half the country, give or take a percentage point or two depending upon the latest poll. Wink

Before all of you go on and flame me for being an unabashed liberal, who at least has the balls to come out and say it with pride and not run and hide, I will first have to apologize for not being able to personally address all those flames which I am now about to get. :-\

I will also say that all of you have formed your opinons based upon the conditions that surrounded you thus far in your life- as have I, and should come as no surprise to see that two different people might have different views on something- it's actually called the "Field theory of Education".

However, it does sadden, and even frighten, me a little that we have some on here who are so ready to commit violence against their fellow countrymen over a difference in opinion. The last time that happend I believe the South lost. Wink Thank goodeness Mc Carthy is long gone and we still are protected by the First Amendment- no matter how much Bush wants to take that away from us.

Here's the latest bit of info on the movie that might interest all of you who think that I am full of it- because there are quite a few others out there who hapen to agree with me thus far by the looks of it....

Bush film 'tops $8m on first day'
Michael Moore's film Fahrenheit 9/11 has taken at least $8.2m (£4.5m) at cinemas across North America on its first day, distributors say.
Moore's assault on President George Bush and the Iraq war is on course to top the weekend box office chart.

The film stirred up controversy when it made its debut at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year, where it won the coveted Palme d'Or award.

British audiences will get to see the film after its UK release on 9 July.

It has benefited from the controversy it has caused in the US, with right-wing groups urging boycotts of the film and liberal lobbyists promoting the movie.

Disney refused to allow its Miramax subsidiary to release the film because of its political content, prompting Miramax founders Harvey and Bob Weinstein to buy the rights back, and strike their own deal with Lions Gate Films and IFC.

"It always helps when there's a group out there that says, 'Don't go see this movie, it's bad for you,'" IFC president Jonathan Sehring said.

'Blows away' records

Paul Dergarabedian, president of Exhibitor Relations, which compiles box office statistics, compared the furore over Fahrenheit 9/11 to Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ, which was at the centre of a storm after claims it was anti-Semitic.
"It's like how The Passion of the Christ redefined what a certain genre of movie could do at the box office, Fahrenheit 9/11 is doing the same thing," he said.

"This blows away any conceivable box office record for a documentary."

The current US box office record for a documentary is held by another Moore film - Bowling for Columbine, which took $21.6m (£11.9m) during its run in 2002. It took a further $35m (£19.2m) outside the US.

Its nearest competitor, comedy White Chicks, is said to be $1.5m (£823,000) behind Fahrenheit 9/11 - but is showing at three times as many cinemas.

Michael Moore's film begins by recounting Mr Bush's disputed election victory and goes on to allege connections between Mr Bush and influential Saudi families, including the Bin Ladens.

However, it is Mr Bush's response to the 11 September attacks and the subsequent war in Iraq that forms the main focus of the film.

Moore builds a case that Mr Bush stoked public fears to win widespread support for a needless invasion of Iraq.

Both positive and negative reviews have described the film as "propaganda".

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2004/06/27 14:55:26 GMT

© BBC MMIV

"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
06-27-2004, 05:38 PM,
;D
06-27-2004, 05:47 PM,
Oh, and before someone makes a false correlation, not all DIR divers are liberals.

My most trusted, scuba, diving buddy is a die-hard Republican/ Neo-con who agrees with none of my politics, but with everything on diving and the whole DIR thing- "just the non-controversial stuff" as he puts it. Wink I am quiet sure the George himself is not a liberal. ;D

I would also mention that not all freedivers are liberals, as I am sure that Fred would be pretty ticked at me if I would ever group him with the liberals. Wink However, my most trusted, freediving, buddy, named Ted, is a huge Liberal who has much stronger opinions on the whole subject than I do- which I find to be quite informative and entertaining at the same time.

Now, back to all of you flaming me for thinking outside the box and refusing the 'cool-aid'.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
06-27-2004, 07:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-27-2004, 07:17 PM by scubadog76.)
I'll grant him his right to speak his mind (how few words that may be), just as I have the right to think he is full of crap. (sorry to any crap that may be reading this that may have been offended by the comparison). It made 8.2 mil., so did "Dude wheres my car" and both had the exact same amount of educational value. If you support Moore, great, shine on you crazy diamonds! I fart in his general direction! You can jump all over people for disagreeing with his film or his right to make it, however grant us the right to not see it.
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
06-28-2004, 06:25 AM,
it is his right to make this movie and bend the facts anyway he wishes. he is a movie maker trying to make money, and he has found a way to do that. personnely I would not see the movie or others he has made even if they were free. I believe in morals and I do not think he (mike moore) has any.

express your free speech and stay away from this dog.
Smile