Remember me
Lost Password Register

DIR SPG/Console?
07-07-2004, 05:03 PM,
Re:DIR SPG/Console?

Why try to put the horse behing the cart and have it push?
[/quote]
I just ended up switching everything over to caveline only. That way I won't be called a stroke...LOL! Wink
[/quote]

The idea is to keep everything as simple as possible: caveline won't break and you'll never be without any spare (it's on your reel and/or spools). I'd rather save my O-rings for more critical applications. Also, if you use the same knot for everything, there's never any uncertainty as to how to do it - KISS!
07-08-2004, 08:43 AM,

Jason,

I had that problem too when I first did it. What you've got to do is tie your knot around the spot on the SPG where it swivels. There's a spot on that whole assembly that is thinner than then the part of the assembly that attaches to the hose. When you tie it there, it won't slip down the hose.
Everyone spends the first nine months of their life in water - the lucky ones make frequent return visits.
07-15-2004, 04:32 PM,
I'm not Amber, nor do I play her on TV but...

In our DIR-F class, Michael Kane recommended the primary be attached with the o-ring and NOT cave line. This is so if somebody really needed to get at your primary, OOA for example, they could pull it off instead of unclipping it. Cave line takes a bunch more to break.
07-15-2004, 04:52 PM,
I'm not Amber, nor do I play her on TV but...

In our DIR-F class, Michael Kane recommended the primary be attached with the o-ring and NOT cave line. This is so if somebody really needed to get at your primary, OOA for example, they could pull it off instead of unclipping it. Cave line takes a bunch more to break.
[/quote]

Chris,

I've heard that argument before but IMO it doesn't hold any water. Let's think this through: in an OOG situation you'll be 1) breathing your long hose, which you'll then donate; 2) breathing of a stage bottle, which you'll donate - always donate what's in your mouth; also, even if you try to donate the longhose when breathing a stage, the stage reg's hose will be on top of the clipped off long hose so no chance to deploy it anyway; 3) you're already on your backup reg; this might have happened if your primary crapped out, such as in a freeflow scenario; in this case your right post will be shut down so you breakaway a non-functioning regulator?! In this scenario you buddy breath on the backup reg and again just leave the primary clipped off.
There's two more scenarios where the longhose is clipped off: 1) you're on the surface, in which case the air around you is what you're breathing; 2) you're using the RB80, but this scenario is similar to the stage bottle as the loop will be on top of the longhose, so deployment won't be possible either.

I know that the argument for having the longhose on a O-ring style breakaway clip makes sense initially, but when you carefully analyze all arguments it doesn't whatsoever, so I'd rather have a clip that's not going to fall off at the most inopportune moment.

Please let me know if I overlooked something. Do you know if Mike had some additional arguments that supercede above listed rationale?

D
07-15-2004, 08:47 PM,
What about an entanglement or a restriction. I think the option is up to the diver. Ive seen clips fall off with Orings and caveline. It all comes down to how much you look at your conections and check the security of the zip tie or caveline. A inproper knot or abrassion on the line will fatigue cave line just as easy as stress a oring or zip tie. using the proper zip ties is also key there are different types and strengths.

Just my 2-cents
07-15-2004, 10:23 PM,

To clarify: did the clip fall off because the knot wasn't tied properly or because of abrasion? If the latter, I'd be more worried about my hoses than the line with which the boltsnap was attached. As far as the entanglement or the restriction is concerned, again I don't see the issue. You're still breathing from a reg that is not clipped off and you're always donating what's in your mouth. If the long hose gets snagged while stored you just cut it free. It is one of the areas less prone to get snagged anyways.
DIR is about going over every possible scenario - this is an excellent discussion to show with which detail every single aspect is considered, whether it is gear, theory, the mind or the body.

D
07-16-2004, 06:11 AM,

Quote:

Please let me know if I overlooked something. Do you know if Mike had some additional arguments that supercede above listed rationale?

D
Quote:

DRE,
I have mine tied with cave line. MHK had an o-ring that he said was preferred. I didn't ask if there were additional reasons for the o-ring as opposed to the cave line.
I think he'll be back in Milwaukee in October, and I'll ask him then.
Chris
07-16-2004, 12:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-16-2004, 12:27 PM by beeger.)

I sort of agree. But I have found the o-ring/zip tie connection does *twist* off rather easily, at least much more easily than reel line, no matter how big the o-ring and zip tie. Seeing that this clip is (IMHO) subject to more twisting force than sheer pulling force I opted to try out the caveline. I only fairly recently converted over to having this clip tied with caveline, for reasons already covered in this thread. The way I tie this knot keeps the bolt snap from sliding around, keeps the bolt snap from overly twisting and pinching the hose, and makes it easy to judge the condition of the knot. If it came right down to it I, or someone else, could breath off this hose without unclipping it.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe