Remember me
Lost Password Register

Simple Questions from new diver
08-24-2004, 07:42 PM,
Re:Simple Questions from new diver
You'll have a great time. If you want to apply the night dive towards AOW or the night specialty and you are doing this through PADI you'll need to do the dive with an Instructor. As you will need to verify dive performance requirements You'll have to have read and completed the knowledge review for night dive or have a completed Specialty Course Instructor outline as out lined in the course standards for Adventure Diving
Of the specialities offered the deep dive is a no and night and wreck you have to have an instructor with you the rest can be done by indirect suppervision.
Lets us know how your trip went.
08-24-2004, 09:34 PM,
Why wait until your vacation to try night diving? If you feel comfortable in water and your are chomping at the bit to excel safely, one thing you may want to try is a fun dive that many local shops have at all times of the week. Smith Diving has them Tues., Scuba Dive and Travel has them Weds. Air Down there is usually Fri.(there up in Crosby this weekend) and other shops have days they do dives as well. Divers usually do a sunlight evening dive and almost always, there are people (esp. Jean) who stick around for night dives. There is minimal, if any, boat traffic, the divers know the lake and you can almost certainly find divers that will take you under their wing to try your first night dives. You could pick a fun dive you wanted to go to, put a post up saying "who would want to do a night dive at this event", and there you go. It's dmn cool!
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
08-25-2004, 06:07 AM,
scubadog76,
:-[I think you'll read he is in Connecticut.

John B, I'm sure you will have fun on your trip to the Caymans; don't worry about it much, see how your trip is going and decide once you arrive.
08-25-2004, 12:10 PM,
Watch out for the monsters . . .

Definately bring a light (at least one). Usually when I night dive, I attach a small light to my tank. It is difficult to lose and your dive buddy will much appreciate it.

Enjoy.
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
08-26-2004, 03:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2004, 03:55 PM by scubadog76.)
So what if he is in Conn. Somebody has to compete with Mnlakediver for longest distance traveled to fun dives! And don't worry cc, you don't have to be embarrassed :-[ Wink
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
08-26-2004, 09:16 PM,
I may drive to L.A. for 1 day of diving next June ;D
maby I can work in a trip to Conn. :o
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
08-27-2004, 10:38 AM,
With a screen name like that, You CAN'T do it without a light.
I just ordered a UK Fathom pack from my local shop. They lent me lights to try them out. For under $100, you can get a decent main, backup, and tank light, batteries included. Just add buddy and dive. Lots of creatures come out at night. And even at 40 feet in daylight, u loose a lot of light. The light really brings out the colors at depth.Just mho. enjoy
Non-divers seem so,  well,  shallow.
09-02-2004, 03:27 PM,
Thanks to all for the advice! My trip is one month from today and i've just booked 5 dives on the Sunny East End of Grand Cayman. One last question for you. My buddy is going through certification now and when he arrived at the LDC with Mask, Fins, and Snorkel newly purchased from Dick's sporting goods for $79 the DM said "no way" and made him purchase $200 worth of the same from him before he would let him in the pool. Is he getting taken for a ride? I got certified in GC with the same $79 equipment (Body Glove) and dove the East Wall 4 times. Am i being unsafe if i continue to use this equipment?
09-02-2004, 04:40 PM,
All of the sporting goods stores I've been in that sell scuba/snorkeling gear have sold cheap crappy masks, fins, etc that looked more suitable for kids to use in a swimming pool. Of course without seeing what your buddy had I won't jump to that conclusion but generally speaking, dive shops sell quality gear made for serious diving and non-dive shops do not.
09-02-2004, 08:38 PM,
Diving is NOT a cheap sport. Cutting corners in any kind of equipment purchase or training is a no no. I wont assume to know what equipment your buddy bought, but if it cost 79.00 there is a very good chance that it is not of the highest quality. I personally wouldnt dream of using something from Kmart/ Sport Mart/ Walmart...what happens if a mask lets loose at 50ft on your buddy....not a happy situation for a new diver...Please advise him/her that they are joining a sport that requires quality equipment..They should invest in good stuff...Think of it this way...We are not supposed to be down there...we cannot see, breathe, or easily swim down there without special equipment...it is life support.....My life is worth more than 79.00 for a mask, snorkle and fins. Mine is worth at least 250.00. G/L

deano
Oops Did I really say that?????