Remember me
Lost Password Register

Poll: What is an 'Earned Hit' to you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Diver gets bent because they were diving fatigued?
12.50%
1 12.50%
Diver gets bent due to unstable depth control @ deco stops?
37.50%
3 37.50%
Diver gets a CNS% O2 tox hit due to poor dive planning?
25.00%
2 25.00%
None of the above (so what is a \'Earned Hit\'?
25.00%
2 25.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

'Earned Hits'
09-24-2004, 12:00 PM,
'Earned Hits'
This is similar to a test question I recently had to answer. I still ponder this one: 'What is a Earned Hit?' I'd be very interested to hear your opinions. Smile
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
09-24-2004, 03:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-24-2004, 03:37 PM by john j.)
Re:'Earned Hits'
My understanding is that an "earned hit" is used to decsribe any injury, be it DCS, O2 toxicity AGE, etc., that you sustain because you broke established rules, procedures or processes. For example, you missed deco stops, you ignored the CNS clock, you ignored PO2 limits, your buoyancy sucks, you ascended too fast, breathed the wrong gas or you were otherwise naughty.

Based on my definition, I would classify all of your examples in the poll as "earned hits".

John J
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
09-27-2004, 11:01 AM,
I'd agree with John. Those are all earned hits. The only unearned hit is the hit a diver gets when they planned and executed a diver perfectly (and by that I mean having a correct, standards based plan, and diving skilfully or doing a no-deco recreational dive) and still get hit.
Everyone spends the first nine months of their life in water - the lucky ones make frequent return visits.
09-29-2004, 03:49 PM,
That's what threw me for a loop, the 'None of the Above'. I think the 'Above' all contribute to an 'Earned Hit'.
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy