Remember me
Lost Password Register

Is this like childbirth?
02-23-2005, 04:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-23-2005, 04:35 PM by flyboy65.)
Re: Is this like childbirth?
I REALLY like Beeger's explanation of how to approach these tasks, as that is exactly the way I had to perform my first attempt at mask clearing. 

Just a thought on the splotchiness on your face...if it's concentrated around your eyes, where your mask would have been, it could be too much negative pressure in your mask, causing the blood to be "sucked" to the surface of your skin.  The reason I bring this up is, as a kid, I thought it would be cool to suck a plastic water glass to my face and walk around for a while.  Well, upon taking it off, it looked like a GIANT hickie around my mouth and chin!  (I don't do that any longer!!)

I'm really hoping you can relax, and do remember you have options.  I've never been in a panic situation underwater as of yet, but I hope I remember that I have options at all times. 

Diving in the aquarium here in Duluth, one of the sturgeon twisted his body VERY quickly, and slammed into my mask, knocking it crooked, and immediately I couldn't see.  But with the training we've had, and some practice once in a while, it was no big deal to straighten it out, get it cleared, and THEN laugh about it!  I didn't even have to think about what I was doing.  That's why they call it TRAINING!!  Same thing as a pilot.  They don't have to think about what to do in a snafu situation, their past training takes over, and it's more like a reaction than anything. 

Relax, and enjoy yourself in the pool.  I've found scuba to be one of the most exhilerating experiences of my life.  It's the closest to being a "fish" as I'll ever be! 

Good luck!!
02-23-2005, 06:21 PM,
Ditto to Beeger's points.

I have observed many in-water training sessions and you can rest assured that your experience is not unique. Its important to know others have went through the same problem. You also did one of the toughest things in diving - to stop instead of continuing when you know something is not right.  There can be a great 'assumed' peer pressure in diving.

Ask your instructor for tips on how to practice the part that is giving you troubles.

It is incredibly common for the the upcoming pressure of a trip to complicate matters. Try and relax. My favorite diving phrase is "Take your time, there's no rush". If you feel rushed, let your instructor know and work something out together.

Once you make it through training and hit that nice warm clear water you'll be hooked....
02-24-2005, 08:39 AM,
we have all had expereances that have left us asking why are we doing this. but once we got through the challange we enjoy the sport even more. I truly believe that you can make it through the course and when the stress is off and you are diving at your leisuer you will look back and know it was worth it.
listen to the instructous and DMs on the board they have great advise and talk to your instructor about practicing in the pool with out the class. a friend of mine was nervous about doing the skills infront of the class and was allowd to work on them in the pool untill comfortable and then did them with the class the next week.
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
03-15-2005, 01:16 PM,
Hi, Cantdoit - don't give up, sorry I'm responding late, just read your message.  I just got back from the Dominican - didn't have a dive partner, and didn't chance diving this trip (wasn't too sure of the scuba company at our hotel).

Don't give up, after our first pool session my girl friend and I called each other and said that we didn't think we could do it (and she'd jumped out of airplanes...) well my hubby said to give it another session - and lo and behold we both became certified (thank you Smith Diving!!!).

Try all the ideas the previous "posters" have said and hang in there.  You're lucky to have a dive partner, mine can't dive right now, so I'm on my own.  I'll try to catch up with the MNScuba Group this summer out at Square.

Good Luck!  Sue
03-16-2005, 08:46 AM,
I was thinking about this thread the other day wondering what has happened to can't do it, were you able to finish you course? i hope you will come back as candoit.  Just wondering if anyone has heard from her?

Doug
AOW
03-16-2005, 04:02 PM,

Hey , you BETTER GET out there and dive dere Sue !!!!    ;D 
(You betcha dere , don't ya know , fer sure ) ...

Will be wonderful to have you back out there again ...

Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
03-25-2005, 12:15 PM,
I brought a lady to shore from snorkeling in the ocean;  she said he couldn't see... She  had flooded her mask,  and I could see her eyes were reddened and starting to swell around them.  We flushed out her eyes to remove the mascara/saltwater and went back in the water....No problems...
I don't know how that stuff mixes with clorine,  but it appeared to be uncomfortable with salt!
Non-divers seem so,  well,  shallow.
03-25-2005, 01:00 PM,
My eyes were red and swollen at my first pool session, My eyes were sensitve to the Chlorine and Sea drops. I switched to the 500 psi and was much better. AND I wasn't wearing mascara, lipstick, or a skirt either.
If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they are--Will Rogers