Remember me
Lost Password Register

Question
04-25-2006, 07:18 PM,
Re: Question
I heard by midsummer, if you fill up in the morning, and if you take a deep dive and have some considerable deco,  the price will be higher when you surface.
Tongue

We will not be taking a road trip this summer,  but I will be diving as many weekends and week days that I can.

Trying to get some training to boot.

MAXFACTOR
04-25-2006, 11:55 PM,
Carpooling is starting to sound better and better!  Now why did I take the back seat out of the van?  Less weight, better gas mileage!  I also took all of my dive gear out of the van for the same reason!  The heat inside a van parked in the sun isn't good for wetsuits either Tongue
Let's get together and do some diving!
Lisa
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
04-26-2006, 07:17 AM,
FreediverND: my scuburban was getting 10 mpg on road trips. I drove the explorer to MS and back and averaged 21 mpg. the scuburban was an old carborated 350 in an  87 body geared to pull. If I could have gotten a better deal on a newer suburban I would have bought that. alto I have thought about converting it to ethonal and setting the still back up at my parrents house, maby I can get a goverent grant for alternative fuel production  8)
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
04-26-2006, 10:06 AM,
probably not - but it will have to be included as a cost in my diving budget.  :Smile
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.<br />Blood makes the grass grow, kill, kill, kill!
04-26-2006, 02:42 PM,
Sucks but yes it probably will. More than likely it will mean more day trips and less weekend long trips pulling the camper. My Durango is bad enough on gas. Put 5000 lbs behind it and it drops even further. 
Now if they will just come out with an RV that runs on the gas I get eating at White Castle ;D
Cary
04-26-2006, 05:05 PM,
Nope. The jeep is ready to go.  I figure the weekend trip to wazee may cost another $15-20.  Oh well.  It's a good reason to carpool and bring along a dive buddy.
--Jason
05-18-2006, 09:41 AM,
The price of gas may change the locations of the dives, but not the frequency! 

This is MN, the land of 10,000 (plus) lakes.  Don't let the price of gas be an excuse not to get out and enjoy the diving! 

If gas prices are that much of a concern, follow the lead of BioDiver and take advantage of your local diving (or carpooling) options!
05-26-2006, 09:24 AM,
Yes.  With the gas prices my goal is to take fewer trips to Wazee and try to do more quality diving like to the North Shore and other places I don't normally frequent.
05-26-2006, 12:44 PM,
A couple of years ago I had some freedivers visiting form England. I took them diving up to Wazee and when we got there they all started to pull out their wallets and grab cash to split costs. Since I got four of us, and all of our dive gear, packed into the Honda Civic I owned at the time I told them to keep their cash because I felt guilty. They insisted on paying as we had driven so far and gas was expensive. I asked them just HOW much did they pay for gas back home and it was over $5 a gallon at the time! Since gas was around $1.60 at the time, and I used so little of it, I just couldn't take their cash.

I recently read where oil economists are predicting $7 a gallon by 2010 in the US. At that point I will be strapping my fins to my bicycle! :o

I have to admit to staying more local and not traveling as much to go dive. I can dive for free in Milwaukee off of the charter boats, but for what it costs me in gas for one trip (Honda CRV) I can pay for two nights of kayak rental, and ice cream afterwards, to take my daughter out with one of the local lakes.  If I ever sold off one of my dive kayaks and replaced it with something a bit more "family freindly" I'd be doing even better. I still make road trips to dive there, but not near as many as I used to and all of those trips will have multiple purposes when I do make them.

Fred, you better still have Freedive-A-Palooza on your list of destinations! Although, I'm not sure if your brother will want to drag his fifth-wheel along this year.  Wink

Jon
&quot;Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge.&quot; -Charles Darwin
05-26-2006, 04:26 PM,
I tell you what.. getting rid of the ford exploder and buying this Honda Fit has me leaping for joy...well, almost Wink  I've hit 37.5mpg loaded down and cruising 78mph to the cities.. 36mpg on the tank before that and 33mpg on the first 3 tanks... I'm impressed.. looks like at least 36mpgs on this tank too and I'm loaded down with everything I had in the xploder and still have room for 4 people, although the 2 in the back will have to be pretty good friends.  Little 10+ gal. tank lets me fill for a bit over $25 and gets me over 300 miles between fills.  Now... can I fasten a hitch somewhere?? :-\
I'm still on for the apalooza for sure..
Cold and dark down there huh?