Remember me
Lost Password Register

Mask Removal w/Hood and Gloves
05-21-2002, 11:41 AM,
Re: Mask Removal w/Hood and Gloves
I read on the DAN page that some divers punch holes in the hood over the ears to relieve pressure.
GO DIVING!
05-23-2002, 07:25 AM,
Just don't use too large of a punch for the holes. <br><br>All I used was a safety pin. I heated the pin up with a lighter and slid it through up where the crown of my head would be. That's where air forms and you start to look like a cone-head.  ;D (That's a cool look!)<br><br>The heated pin seals the edges slightly as it makes contact with the neoprene rubber under the nylon. I did about 5 of those holes and spaced them about a 1/4" or more apart to avoid weakening the area. <br><br>If you place too big of a punch, the nylon in the area will start to frey or peel back from doning and doffing. The smaller holes allow little water to enter, mainly just the air to escape, even on ice dives I stay warm.<br><br>Start out small and work larger if you need to. <br><br>You can also look upward or upward while twisting to the side with your head to release air from your hood through the top of the forhead area. But if you find any annoyance, just make more holes or make them larger. After a while, it won't be a concern.<br><br>And if you just don't blow out of your nose, the air doesn't leak back through the skirt and into your hood as easily.  ;D<br><br>You should see my wife, she has a constant stream flowing from her temples, and I think she'd make the SNL cone-heads jealous when her hood fills!
05-23-2002, 07:39 AM,
;D<br><br>Too funny! I'll try the pin thing maybe. I'll wait and see if I get called a conehead first though,  :'(