Remember me
Lost Password Register

The Elusive Crosby Pits
06-11-2005, 09:35 PM,
Re: The Elusive Crosby Pits
I dive the Feigh mine pit when I want to go deep in Crosby.  The access has a steep hill the the visabiltiy is at times exceptional all the way down to 225'.  There is a horizontal mine shaft at 100' that opens up to a big cavern (I suggest not going inside even if cave certified as the ceiling has been known to fall down).
06-13-2005, 06:08 AM,
Yeah the drift mine shaft in Feigh has been pretty easy to find.  It's at the far eastern end of Feigh about 50 yards north of the canoe access and out off the drop-off at precisely 100'.  Last year there was a cord which ran from the shaft opening up along the wall and then out across the 'flats' into shallow water (no surface buoy).  If you bring some good dive lights you can position yourself outside the entrance of the drift and shine your lights inside to get a really good view.  We agree with all who advice not to enter these drifts.  THey are NOT stable/safe.
06-13-2005, 07:11 AM,

Bill,

I know I've "bottomed out" in Feigh at about 170' for vis, was that unusual, or is the 225' unusual.  Also, what are other pits you would recommend for deeper than 200'?

I've had some decent dives in Lake Mine, does anyone have a map of the lake?  Ore-B-Gone has great viz. too, but It's a long way from home for me.
06-13-2005, 07:52 AM,
Darin,

I recommend Feigh mine for some easy deep diving if you want to stick with Crosby,  I have seen the mine shaft that Bill is talking about. That it's self is a great dive, and there is a great wall right below the shaft down to 220ish I believe. I have been down in the 190' range with excellent vis. I have never had bad vis in Feigh. But you have to work for it. There is a very steep goat trail that you have to take down to the water, but for me it was worth it.

just my 2 cents...

eric
06-13-2005, 08:14 AM,

Send a message to MAKA on the forum here.  He has a good map of Lake Mine with depths etc.  I don't remember where he found the map but I'm sure he found it online somewhere.
06-13-2005, 11:50 AM,
I've almost always have good vis at Feigh.  I've done 4 dives this year already at Feigh.  I have yet to go down below 150' this year, but all looked good.  With all the rain here nothing is really great, I did a dive at Portsmouth and Joan yesterday and everything was stirred up.  I would really like to do a deep one in Portsmouth sometime soon, but will wait for 4-5 days of sunshine and no rain.