Remember me
Lost Password Register

Rental equipment?
08-20-2005, 01:16 PM,
Re: Rental equipment?
I did my OW with Scuba Dive & Travel and then bought all my own gear before I went to Cozumel. I liked the equipment I used for my OW and bought the same thing. It was easier for me because of my short arm and I also felt comfortable with it too. SD&T is a great shop and I would reccommend them, IMHO....LOL

Happy & Safe Diving!!!

Peace,

Eric
08-22-2005, 10:48 AM,
when I went to Laguna Beach I brought my own gear so I would not have to deal with sizeing issues when I was ready to dive.
I believed if I was renting I would rent here so I knew what I had fit and was in good shape. I would hate to wast dive time trying to find a BC that fits and regs hat work well. JMHO
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
09-27-2005, 07:47 AM,
I have alwas rented locally and lugged the stuff.  Lately from Air Down There, because I feel like I "know" the stuff I am getting.  I rent the same BC throughout the year (They rotate in new rentals each year I think) and so I start out with a brand new BC and by the end of the year it feels like mine anyway.  I would love to buy it at the end of the year, and one of these times I just might.  The Reg is a no-brainer for me, because I only dive 4-5 times a year and wouldn't get my maintenance money's worth.

Carrying the extra gear is a bit of a hassle, but about 1/2 the time, I am glad when I see the gear that other people get as rentals.  Plus I know exactly what weights I need for proper trim, what my BC can do, and how to use it in an emergency.
09-27-2005, 09:15 AM,
I don't want to take any business away from any dive shops here, but I would suggest renting in Cayman.  My wife and I both own all of our own equipment and take it on every trip we go on, and it is by far the biggest hassle we have.  Especially with the airlines cracking down so hard on weight limits.  I will always bring my own because I own it, but if for some reason I had to not use my own and needed to rent, I would never even consider renting and transporting the equipment.  You also have to consider where you are going.  In my opinion Grand Cayman is a very upscale location, and from what I have seen they have great equipment they rent out.  I would be a little more leary in a place like Cozumel where I have seen some very questionable rentals.  We dove with Fisheye last time we were in Cayman and I thought most of the rental equipment I saw on others almost looked brand new.
08-08-2006, 09:04 AM,
I have traveled to the Caribbean several times and used rental gear.  I didn't think it was too bad, but is it better to bring your own stuff?  I'd appreciate opinions.
08-08-2006, 11:35 AM,
If you have your own gear I'd definately bring it rather than using rental gear.  It's better to dive with gear that you are familiar with and you know is working properly.  I'm not sure what kind of gear some of the operations rent but I'm assuming some operations rent lower line stuff.  I wouldn't want to show up on a dive trip and end up being rented some sub-par regs that breath like crap or a lousy BC etc.