Remember me
Lost Password Register

Spring Heels
03-12-2003, 12:41 PM,
Re:Spring Heels

I consider spring straps a safety improvement. I have broken straps on separate pairs of fins within 1 year of purchase. That's why people recommend that you carry an extra strap in your save-a-dive kit.

Last year I was doing a shore dive in Lake Michigan. I donned my gear and walked a very challenging, slippery, rock infested path to the water. I got into the water, began to put my fin on, and "snap!". I would have paid any amount of money to have spring straps at that point. It delayed my dive for a half hour (had to take gear off and unlock vehicle), pissed off my buddy, and I had to very carefully walk over the rocks twice.

Note, if I had been carrying an extra strap in my pocket the problem would have been resolved much faster. But, now with spring straps I have a permanent solution.
--Jason
03-12-2003, 01:02 PM,
$60 dollars a set for the Manta Straps (plastic clip style).
OUCHIE...
But I guess to save a dive its worth the money !!!
(Hey , and I don't blink an eye to dive the M.O.A.
Yea , Jean .... RIGHT !!!)

Thanks...Jean :-[
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
03-12-2003, 01:35 PM,
No doubt. That is way too expensive. You can make the equivalent buying the springs from McMaster-Carr, and the S-Hooks, tubing and line from a hardware store for about $15 and it would only take maybe 15 to 30 minutes tops to put the things on. It's not a hard job.
03-12-2003, 01:56 PM,
Chris,

Your correct about snap clips not being true DIR, but anyone who is using split fins is not really interested in true DIR to begin with.

Spring straps are great for the simple reason that they slide on easy on hold on tight once in place. They also have the added benifit of not breaking on you in the middle of a tricky situation.

Because they go on so easy I think that they would be great for ice diving.

The $60 that people are talking about is still cheaper than the $80 that Halcyon or 5th Dimension gets. I still think that they're worth it in the long run.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-12-2003, 02:22 PM,
Lonnie: Thanks for the building instruction.
If only I had the fingers , the patience for it...etc
(I tend to be like Chrisw...If you can buy it , I will come !!!)
And I think they would be cool for ice diving.
My bigest problem was taking those FROZEN finners of mine off my feet. The springs would have made it *SOOO* much easier.

Thanks...Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
03-25-2003, 08:54 PM,
If anyone is interested in getting together and making spring straps, send me an email.

gp or Jason:
Want to stop over and show off your fabricating skills?

Tol
03-25-2003, 09:58 PM,

Maybe. If we get a group of people together who all want to make spring straps it might work out well. I have plenty of steel wire left so don't bother ordering that. The springs would be cheaper if a bunch of people ordered together.
--Jason
04-05-2003, 10:37 PM,
How long did it take for the order to come in?
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
04-06-2003, 01:11 AM,

I recall getting all the materials in about a week.
--Jason
04-06-2003, 02:13 AM,
Order springs from Mcmaster-Carr. Delivery in 2-3 days.
Just did 3 sets of spring straps.
Supplies:
1. 302 Stainless extension springs, 1 bag (3 springs/bag)
11" long, 1/2" OD, .062 wire, machine loop ends
McMaster Carr # 3932K24 $14.75

2. 1/2"ID, 3/4"OD Clear Vinyl Tubing (thick wall)
10ft coil about $3 at Menards
3. 1/8" nylon cord, braided (for inside springs)
48ft bag about $3 at Menards
4. Heavy stainless wire to attach springs to fin studs
Buy stainless steel 12" spokes (heavy gauge) at any
bike shop - about 40 cents each. 1 spoke per fin.
(1/2 spoke each side)
A few details to pay attention to, and the SS wire is hard to bend, but all in all pretty easy.

Dan L