Remember me
Lost Password Register

Poll: Who's photo/photos do you like best?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
wtdrm
8.33%
1 8.33%
Diver_Dave
8.33%
1 8.33%
Roger Southwick
75.00%
9 75.00%
freediverND
8.33%
1 8.33%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

"My Divebuddy" Apr-May Photo Contest
06-06-2006, 07:11 PM,
Re: "My Divebuddy" Apr-May Photo Contest
Roger,

Can you enlighten us on what gear you were using for the "alien eggs" photo.  Darn nice shot!  Looks pretty wide.  I am thinking of switching from the Nikon 12-24 to the 10.5.  If you used one that wide to get that clarity and sharpness it would help tilt the scales in favor of the 10.5.

Also, if you are willing to share, I would be interested in any post processing you did.  The color is great!.

Chris
06-06-2006, 07:24 PM,
Hey Chuck, you could have.  Check out the rules.  Wink
As a first, since we are just getting into the water, how about an April- May contest.
Proposed rules:
Any on-topic underwater photo taken locally, digital or digitized film, photoshopped or not (open popular vote competition).
Locally means Minnesota , Lake Superior, or divesites in immediately bordering states (hey, we have to have Fred's turf, Wazee and Isle Royale, to name a few, included)
Picture must be taken within timeframe of contest - honor system.
Photo - one per contestant per month - to be posted on this forum.
Max image size 100K, posted approx. 600x750 pixels, approx 8 x10 format.
Judging will be by popular vote.  Whatever the members like and vote most, wins.
Forum moderator and Dan L to figure out details of how to do this.
Prizes? Let's see what might get donated.  Otherwise, just for plain old fun.
Remember - it's the photographer, not the camera, taht makes the pic.
April-May topic: "My Divebuddy"  Use your imagination!
Deadline for post- midnight, Monday, May 29.  Voting May 30 thru Fri Jun 2.

Inappropriate pictures, those deemed not meeting monthly subject criteria, or those not meeting contest rules can be pulled by moderators at moderator discretion.

Don't know details of how this will work yet, but we'll figure it out as we go.
See the post "My Divebuddy Apr-May Photo Contest" to post your pic and place your votes.
Hey - I'm trying... does this sound OK?  Ideas? Help?
06-07-2006, 07:32 AM,
Just kidding Lonnie. Just jealous your shots turn out better.
I'm going to go get photoshop today.
I took some pictures in FL that are RAW and I want to play with them.
06-07-2006, 08:43 AM,

Thanks Chris.  Equipment: Canon Digital Rebel in an Ikelite housing, Canon 10-22mm EF-S lens at 10mm, 3" radius dome port, dual Substrobe 100As.

For post-processing, converted the CRW file with CaptureOne, boosted contrast a little, and set white balance for reasonable color on the diver - started with the daylight setting and tweaked a bit from there.  After that, used Photoshop to reduce the image size for the web and apply sharpening.  (This is another critical step; good points are available here: )

After-the-shot white balance is a truly beneficial aspect of RAW files, especially for underwater shots.  The blue-green ambient light and reddish strobe light mix in unique ways in each shot, depending on strobe-to-subject distance and strength & direction of sunlight; even setting a custom white balance in the camera will produce inconsistent results because these other factors are always changing.

What type of dome do you use with the Nikon 12-24?  I'm a bit disappointed with the small 3" radius Ikelite dome - corners of a 10mm image are a bit "smeared".  At 12mm it seems ok.  Might be something to consider if you use a small-radius dome.  If anyone has tried the new 4" radius Ikelite dome and can compare, please let me know! Smile
06-07-2006, 08:21 PM,
Roger,

I thought it was pretty wide.  How do you like the 10-22?  I hear it is pretty nice.  From the look of your shot, it is pretty sharp. 

I use a similar set up.  D70 w/Ike Housing, 2 DS-125's and the new 8" dome from Ikelite.  All post processing is done with Photoshop CS.

I do like the 8" dome.  It is hard to nail down exactly why it is "better" than the smaller domes, but in general things look better.  I know that is lame for a reason. I think the photos are sharper edge to edge, but I have not done a real formal comparison.  I just know I like the images better.  I can also fit the 17 - 35 in the dome as well, which I could not with any other Ike port.  I can now also do 1/2 and 1/2 shots with the larger dome (or at least I try to do 1/2 and 1/2 shots).   I posted a 1/ 2 and 1/2  ice diver earlier that I shot with the 8" dome.  If we can dive the same place sometime you are welcome to give it a try.  I only have the "medium" length port extention for it. So I am not sure if your 10-22 will work.

I was thinking of getting the short port extension and the Nikon 10.5.  I used an Aquatica dome and the 10.5 and the edge to edge sharpness was unreal.  I would have to sell off the 12-24 to get the 10.5 and short extension :-[  Now that I can use the 17-35, the 12-24 is somewhat redundant and a slower lens.  Tongue Man this is an expensive hobby/addiction.

Let me know when you have a few local photo trips set up, perhaps we can do a few dives.  When the new zipper gets installed on my dry suit I plan on hitting the Maderia for a mid week photo day.  Perhaps we could meet there.

Chris