Remember me
Lost Password Register

Can Someone Identify This...
10-09-2007, 09:29 AM,
Re: Can Someone Identify This...
You're  right -- we didn't see those on rocks or sand, only on wood.

I can't imagine a fish being able to deposit eggs like that...  must be some type of crawling thing.  Anyone know how crayfish lay eggs?  I doubt it would be snails, since I've never seen any big snails in Wazee.  The egg blob is about 1/2" wide so it probably isn't a bug either.  There are some rather long, continuous groups of these things, so it's not a small creature.

Then again, maybe it's some type of colonial growth.
10-09-2007, 03:37 PM,
crayfish are like lobster - they lay eggs under their tail and carry them around...

have no idea what does these...
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
10-19-2007, 05:16 PM,
A bunch of pals and I went to Wazee last Sunday, this time at the Sherwood Forest (north-east) boat launch.  I specifically brought the camera with 100mm macro lens to search for the "egg sacs".  After searching for over an hour in the shallows, I couldn't find any evidence of the sacs.  All the submerged wood in this area is covered by something else (see below), and there are a lot more fish in this area, so maybe it's not a suitable location.

On the second dive we scootered around the lake.  I did spot some egg sacs on the top branches of some trees near the south boat launch, but didn't have the camera with me.

Here are a couple photos of the stuff that covers submerged wood on the Sherwood side.  This is on the platform:

Close up:

I couldn't see clearly enough with my mask to see if they were moving, but they look like they could be a colonial animal (they look similar to barnacle gills) rather than a plant.  If anyone has a video camera with macro capability, it would be nice to see them in action.