Remember me
Lost Password Register

Split fins: why not DIR?
03-12-2003, 10:49 PM,
Re:Split fins: why not DIR?
Impressions don't always speak the truth. Whereas a split fin or a Volo might give you decent speed with a standard flutter kick (which is one of the worst kicks ever) they won't give you the flexibility of changing your style. Also, there is a huge difference between wearing a single AL80 or double LP108's with 3 AL80 stages. I prefer the latter for the real testing ground of my next pair of fins (which I won't need anyway, cause Turtle or Jet or Power fins are virtually indestructible).
03-13-2003, 07:39 AM,
Let's stick with wimpy leg diver's and leave age out of this. ;D

I was first certified, to dive Wink, when I was 14. I had some very skinny little "chicken legs" at that time that cramped up when I wore stanard scuba fins. When Force Fins first came out, in 82', I bought a pair right away, they were only $38+$2 shipping, and thought that I had found the answer. I grew up and my legs got stronger. I could never imagine going back to those same old floppy fins anymore. Besides being too floppy, they are not very good for all of the different kicks that a diver should know.

One of the best tests for both of these fins, Force and Split, is when we play underwater hockey down here every Monday night. People show up for the first time with their brand new Force/Split fins and are left in the dust by someone with cheap full-foot snorkeling fins. Once we let them try a pair of whatever we have laying around, and they don't have to be expensive freediving fins either, they usually end up thorwing their Force/Spilt fins on E-bay where they get snatched up by someone else pretty qucikly. ;D This testing is all done without the extra drag of scuba gear. The differences are so obvious that you never have to say anything. People just sell themselves. The local shops keep pushing them becaue of the increased profit margins. It's tough to be in the dive buisness so I don't know that I can blame them, but it doesn't mean I have to waste my money with them either.

The Volvo fin is too expensive and has the wrong kind of buckels to be considered DIR. They are also considered too light for drysuit diivng. Save your money and buy yourself a nitrox class instead.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-13-2003, 08:09 AM,
So, what are proper DIR fins? (brand/model)
Must they have spring heels too?

--nice to know i am considered old, weak,
an incompetant finner, and a visibility
hazzard just by lookin at my fins!!
y'all are a tough crowd! Wink
03-13-2003, 08:47 AM,
"The Volvo fin is too expensive and has the wrong kind of buckels to be considered DIR. "

Volvo makes a fin. That wasn't on the option list when I bought my car.

JoelW
03-13-2003, 09:00 AM,
It was a limited release only available on the Brazilin version of the XC90-WET
03-13-2003, 09:08 AM,
I believe most DIR divers use Scuba Pro Jet fins or IDI Turtle/Power fins with spring straps.
03-13-2003, 09:50 AM,
Any type of standard open heel rubber fin with a paddle type blade and spring heel straps would fit the bill.

Aqualung "rocket" fins
Scubapro "jet" fins
Beauchat original inventors of the "jet" fins
IDI "turtle" fins
IDI "jet" fins

There are a few warm water DIR divers who only dive openwater and have been using full-foot freedivng fins with their set-ups. That should make Fred happy. ;D

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-13-2003, 09:59 AM,
Not sure why splits are not DIR material. I personally dive with ScubaPro Twin Jets and love them. I hardly know I have them on when diving and I don't have any problems at all maneuvering in them either. Lifetime warranty, so I'll be using them for a long, long time. Wink
03-13-2003, 10:40 AM,
Chris, I think the answer to your question is pretty straightforward. The DIR guys are mostly using frog kicks. They have found that the more basic paddle fin provides better performance for these types of kicks. Hence, they are the preferred fin.

I'm not DIR but I agree with this finding. I also believe that the frog kick is the best kick to use for diving in our local waters. We would all enjoy better visibility if everyone used it.
--Jason
03-13-2003, 10:46 AM,
Thanks Jason...
I can understand that, however I've successfully done a frog kick many times in my Twin Jets with no problems (possibly not as effectively, not sure though), however with the Twin Jets I also notice I can go along close to the bottom using a regular kick and not stir it up. I believe this is due to the fact that while using split fins you don't have to use as large of a kick, and the force is generated on the up stroke more than the down stroke, thus not causing as much turbulance in the water.

Maybe this would be something we can check out this summer?