Remember me
Lost Password Register

Split fins: why not DIR?
03-13-2003, 02:59 PM,
Re:Split fins: why not DIR?
From 1 to 4 I believe.... The dives are around the top of the hour, so like 3 and 4 I think. The first hour is a tour and setup, then off to the tanks! Would be great if you could make it... And I promise I won't do the Warhammer Maneuver! (Why did I bring that up!?)

Don't ask what a Warhammer Maneuver is... you don't want to know!
LOL
03-13-2003, 03:00 PM,
The DIR crowd kind of puts a stake in the ground so to speak when it comes to gear: they want all their gear to work in all kinds of conditions and for all kinds of dives. Consistency is key. So while split fins might be fine for cruising along in mid water on a warm water recreational dive, they don't seem to fare as well under more demanding circumstance. Split fins are not effective for frog kicking, let alone any of the alternate kicks. Flutter kicking is not an option in a cave or wreck, and is a bad idea in general even near a wreck, or pretty much anywhere. Frog kicking is more efficient, but harder to get used to. Also, most split fins, and most typical scuba paddle fins, are very floppy by nature. These will simply not provide the power needed to get moving when carrying a heavy load. Also, any sort of fine control is near impossible with split fins, as well as many different paddle fins. Things like helicopter turns are really best performed with short, stiff fins. The Jets/IDIs have the advantage of also being excellent for surface swimming.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
03-13-2003, 03:03 PM,
Hey Lonnie , it would be great to have you show up.
So total , at least 3 cameras will be there. (Jean , Chris and Chrisw). I will have 2 rolls of 36 print film with so I am going to be shooting pics like crazy. And with three of us (or more) flashing away , it should be a shootout of mega proportions. Between all of us we should get some really good pictures !!!
Say Chris , are there *ANY* other maneuvers that we should be aware of?

Oh , did I mention I was bringing my underwater drill for the people in the tunnel??? :o

Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
03-13-2003, 03:19 PM,
Chris

NERD!!! Wink I have a couple friends who are really big into Warhammer.
03-13-2003, 03:26 PM,
Great answer Beeger!

You bring up some excellent points that I totally forgot about. Fine tuning with fins is very important to all of the photographers out there. You need to be very careful when closing in on a reef when taking macro photos. Big floppy split fins are not the best for this. Shorter jet fins allow for helicopter turns and backwards kicks to get yourself in position to shoot without damaging the reef.

A big part of a DIR-F class is working on streamlining gear, proper weighting and different types of fin kicks. This is not information that only tech-heads need to know. Anyone who wants to improve their skills for taking photos or doing search patterns in a muddy lake bottom can benefit from it.

Plus, their cheaper which is always a benefit.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
03-13-2003, 03:37 PM,
Jean, I love the idea of the drill and the tunnel. My guess it the staff reaction would be something to watch :o
03-13-2003, 03:44 PM,
My dive buddy and I were out spearing/ freediving for three hours last Saturday in a snow storm. I am really looking forward to the 60 degree temps that are coming our way this Saturday. 8)

Jon

Attached Files
.jpg_thumb   Days_catch.jpg_thumb (Size: 36.09 KB / Downloads: 0)
03-13-2003, 03:53 PM,
whereabouts do you go near Madison?
03-13-2003, 04:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-13-2003, 04:55 PM by Freedive WI.)
We were out on Lake Monona last weekend. We dove Lake Mendota up until the middle of January. Summer time is mostly in Lake Michigan or up to Lake Wazee.

Jon

Attached Files
.jpg_thumb   Jon_prep.jpg_thumb (Size: 34.41 KB / Downloads: 0)
03-13-2003, 04:59 PM,
geeze Jon, you need a friggen bigger speargun man. ;D
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?