Remember me
Lost Password Register

No More camping at Crosby Ironton Pits
06-13-2006, 07:13 PM,
Re: No More camping at Crosby Ironton Pits
I think if you look into the land ownership the mining companies still own a lot of it the state owns some and the DNR is somewhat managing it to an extent. I haven't dove there in a while but I see some attractions have been placed without proper procedures I hope the fluids were removed and grease from the wheels and differentals and the paints were checked for lead base how about the batteries
06-13-2006, 07:45 PM,
Hey Adam,
Can I come camp in your yard?? ;D  ;D  ;D

I'm still miffed that my dad sold his interest in land on Smith Lake :'(  Never could see more than 6 inches before, but now, you never know!  I've seen other lakes turned around by better management of septic systems!
LW
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
06-15-2006, 07:23 AM,
I watched the news in channel 10 last night and the had a story about a group with the state and cities up here on developing the old mines across the Iron Range to make them more accessable to land developement and sale for homes by the year 2008 check out wdiotv.com
06-15-2006, 08:14 PM,
Change is always met by resistance!

What is the big deal with Louise, anyway?

As for a previous comment about diving near your campsite... Check out the diving right off of the Portsmouth campground.  There are three different access points with some great diving. One is right off the beach , one in the North Bay (plenty of fish and lots of underwater trees), and one on the South Bay.

Right on Adam!!!!

Cleaning the riff-raff out is a GREAT thing!  If you haven't run into any of the previously mentioned crowds, you must not spend much time in the pits!  I really don't care to surface after a nice dive to see the "full moon a rising" if you know what I mean!  By closing the camping to clean things up, it will allow for a better area.  It sounds like multiple more improved  camping sites at the end of the project.  Road improvements won't be a bad thing!!!!
06-16-2006, 07:18 AM,
Mr. weekend and I had a meeting with the park planner. Very nice person. They have some very very ambitious plans for the whole area.
The only problem is I probably wont be alive to see it come to fruition.
Most of the land they want to include is privately owned. Currently the DNR has little money to acquire it even if the owners wanted to sell. I have met a couple of them and they think that it is still extremely valuable as a mining entity and the Gov. wants to rip them off.
I really hear you about the roads. However because it is private land, the landowner is responsible for the roads. So don't look for much help there.

The key here is "private"... State officials can only regulate state land.

So I hope you will all donate to my defense fund.

07-31-2006, 02:47 PM,
So this past weekend, people were camping everywhere. Did they change their mind or were they all camping illegally?
07-31-2006, 03:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-31-2006, 03:05 PM by LKunze.)
Yeah, it's not an issue anymore from what I heard.  The DNR never ever posted any signs for no camping or anything.  The fact is the DNR does not own all of the land in the area and cannot enforce any rules for land they do not own.  The whole purpose of them saying no camping in the first place was for a good cause in my opinion.  They were trying to force out the people that were parking their trailers out there and basically living there as a summer cabin retreat.  I think those doing that should have been kicked out but they couldn't technically prevent them from camping there without banning camping for everyone so this whole thing kind of fell apart before it ever was able to be put in place.  I've been told they are doing subtle improvements out there but there isn't any state funding for it really so don't expect any big changes.  The trail that was put in was not paid for by the state.  It was paid for by a private donation I was told.  This is all I know at the moment.  So... I guess get those tents out and do some camp & dives!  Wink
07-31-2006, 07:42 PM,
That explains that. Thanks Lonnie
11-30-2006, 08:12 PM,
alas,  within the last 3 weeks the outfit that was thinking about opening up some more mining process has pulled out of the deal.  OH... and YES....  the state got stuck with several hundred thousand dollars in "seed" money to explore what most of the mining companies knew 20 years ago. 

maxfactor.
12-01-2006, 09:06 AM,

The company pulling out on the deal was for the east end of the range over by Aurora to be exact.
It took us 8 years to acomplish the Ore-be-Gone sites. There is moneies out there to be had but you have to apply for it. We got the city of Gilbert to do this for us, we worked real close with them and still assist them when needed.
Has anyone gone to the Crosby City  to talk to the Mayor about this. When we did Ore-be-Gone I talked to the Mayor and at the same time set up to do a talk to the city consil When we went to the meeting I had a power point presentation to show them what was done else where to quarries with photos and videos that helped. I had photos and videos of Ore-be-Gone, Lake Mine, Stubler, showing the underwater world. It impressed them that they had their grant writer do the work up for it which gave them numbers that was impressive. One number they looked at was the estimated bump to the economy ($4,000,000.00) It was also givin to the County Commisioners which also granted moneies from the County Recreational Fund and IRRB.
I see a lot of finger pointing, complaining should've, would've, could've. Everyone seems to want to sit back waiting for someone else to do it.
Form yourselves a group and go after it (don't let them crap on you) You might be surprised where it will go, but it will be a slow proccess.