Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Calhoun
07-07-2006, 01:57 PM,
Re: Lake Calhoun
You must really dig that joint. Did you find the head again? And uumm.. Yeeaah... I'm going to need you to come in tomorrow... .And Sunday.... Yeeeaahh....
07-09-2006, 12:21 PM,
After 12 dives in the Keys, I needed to get back to reality of diving in sewage...
Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements.
07-09-2006, 08:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2006, 08:59 PM by DiverQueen.)
Awww come on....It's not sewage, it just tastes like it! :-X Tongue  After all, what's a little E-Coli between friends! :o ;D ;D

I'll have to try and get out there one of these evenings on a fun dive or just with my other wild dive buddies!  Three foot vis??  Where did I put my "Buddy Rope"?
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
09-09-2006, 04:35 AM,
We dove Calhoun again this week, I may go back again this weekend for another dive.

The vis was not great at first but the we found a sandy bottom area on the south east side of the lake that was a lot nicer.  It is close to where the wind surfers get in and out. 

The vis sucks in there on the east side of the lake near the drop off to 45 feet with all the silt but when we found this area with the sandy bottom in  20-25 feet it was pretty nice with 5-8 feet viz.

Not great like Crosby but 5 hour round trip vs 30 minutes.  I'll work on underwater nav in low viz for the price of a tank of gas...

I took a new diver with who just got his open water training and he had one of those wireless systems.  It looks cool but he had to mess around with it for a while to get it to work.  Sorry but I have enough problems with Blue Tooth and Wifi so there is no way in hell I will trust a wireless setup with my life.

It was fun diving with someone new and telling him the stuff I learned the hard way like it is not a race under water and to just stop and look around. 

One thing that really did strike me as odd is that I just finished up my Nitrox class with PADI at Fantasea and they made me do two dives to make sure I knew what I was doing, knew the gear and how to program my Dive Rite nitek duo.  He told me he just got his PADI and they did not make him do 2 dives.  Is there a new lower standard now for Nitrox Training?

Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements.
09-09-2006, 06:06 AM,
PADI specialties
Np PADI still requires 2 dives.
At least it did a couple months ago.
09-09-2006, 06:47 AM,
PADI dropped the 2 Nitrox dives from their specialty course several months ago.
09-20-2006, 10:07 PM,
I need to find someone willing to go to the bottom of Calhoun with me in the next few weeks.  I want to go down to 80 feet in Calhoun just to say I did it.

If not Calhoun, Maybe a trip up north.

I want to go deeper now that I got some warmer stuff to wear.
09-21-2006, 06:24 AM,
Quote:I need to find someone willing to go to the bottom of Calhoun with me in the next few weeks.  I want to go down to 80 feet in Calhoun just to say I did it.

that sounds like me talking....  :Smile
Cold and dark down there huh?
09-27-2006, 03:16 AM,
On second thought, I'll wait until I got up to Crosby or back to the Tropics to do my deep dives.  Yesterday I did another dive into Calhoun and it was ok until I got below 30 feet.  The vis was down to arms length in the area I was diving.  This time I was in the south parking lot area where there is a little beach.  It is not the public beach but the beach where the wind surfers hang out at.

Vis above 25 feet, 8-10 feet and bottom conditions, rock and sand.  I did see a lot of shells and some strange looking stuff on the bottom that looked like holes carved out of the lime or sand stone. 

Temp at 31 feet was 61F

10-25-2006, 05:34 PM,
Had to get my fix in and dove Calhoun today.  It was a little chilly but the vis is better now with 8-10 feet at 25-30 feet with sunlight.   At 40 Feet you could still see some day light.   The temp at 10 feet is 55F and the temp at 43 feet  is 46F.  It took a few minutes to get use to the frozen lips but the 5mm suit, hood, boots and gloves kepts me nice and warm for the most part. 
This dive was at the east parking lot and not bad.