Remember me
Lost Password Register

What would you want?
11-21-2002, 04:16 PM,
Re:What would you want?
Welcome to the board LclDiver. Thanks for your insight.

I don't pretend to understand the unique relationships between the LDS and vendors. I do own a local business so I certainly understand in general what it means to make payroll, be competitive, and manage relationships with vendors.

I totally agree that the LDS is getting screwed with these MRP deals. Honestly to me it sounds illegal. You can't tell me that a company like Leisure Pro can sell equipment without the manufacturers knowing about it. The manufacturers know it, love it, and protect the relationship to the detriment of the LDS. My guess is that if I called up a manufacturer it would not mean a hill of beans. This problem may have to be fought by some sort of consumer advocate organization. If you know of a way to help I'm sure people on this board will mobilize. Get us a list of manufactures and reps to contact.

I don't think anyone here is anti-LDS. Heck, we have all dropped loads of cash at the LDS -- and we continue to purchase services/training/equipment. The people here are some of the LDS' best customers. But the fact remains that the LDS is facing a tough situation -- one that customers did not create. I think the fact that the LDS can't compete fairly is harming consumers. I think "internet" consumers would buy more gear locally if the prices were within 10-20% of internet prices. But in some cases it is 50-100%. It is just too hard to ask customers to rationalize that difference on big ticket items. In my business service is #1 and price is #2. No matter how good my service was I just could not compete with that kind of price difference.

I have received e-mails from a local shop relating to equipment service. Wink I'm always happy to give advice to any shop that is interested in using the internet more.

--Jason
11-22-2002, 12:44 AM,
Re:What would you want?
FYI, This very subject is a "hot" topic at under the heading "New 2 scuba" / "LDS vs Internet".(or something like that) Some individuals are checking in to the legality of that practice.