Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dive Scooter Question....
12-24-2006, 01:12 PM,
Re: Dive Scooter Question....
The longer I do this and the more "poor outcome" stories I gather about ice diving the more and more conservative I am becoming.  I experienced a lost diver scenario a few years ago and it was pretty humbling.   I was the "lost" diver and I thought I was disconnected from the line. 

For gear other than normal dive gear I use: static climbing line or 4 wire comm line, redundant air source (pony for now), LGS harness, dry suit with dry gloves and dry hood, positive pressure full face mask with comm sometimes  (I may start ice diving on hard wired comm 100% of the time). 

I dive out of a large "ice hut" that was built just for ice diving.  With a few people in there and a small heater we don't get cold.  No one freezes their arse off.  It is generally warm enough that we don't wear jackets.  It is nice to be comfortable, but more importantly people make strange decisions and become physically impaired when they are too cold.  It is a safety issue.  I also bring a small enclosed trailer with a small heater for a dry changing area. 

Short version: Cut a 6' triangle. Take ice out of the hole, anchor ice screws outside the hut. Only dive tethered with a harness.  One diver down, one diver at 100% ready and another at about 90% ready.  Every diver has redundant air source.  Only one diver at a time on a primary line.  100% diver line floats and is 50% longer than primary.  Diver can do whatever they want while down but we usually divide up the dive area so that each diver does not have to dive in the others muck trail.  If someone is diving wet, they go first so they can dry off and get warm quicker before tear down. 

I would love to dive the wrecks with my camera this winter.  As soon as the ice is thick enough, lets go....
12-24-2006, 02:11 PM,
Re: Dive Scooter Question....
The idea of a diver using a scooter under the ice reminds me of the diver that hung a strobe lite under the ice so that he could find the hole again.  If you come off the line you could be anyplace in the lake and that sure makes more work for chris and me, but we can always wait till  spring and the ice goes away, think what a nice anchor that scooter will make
grumpie ........