Remember me
Lost Password Register

3 weeks in the Philippines
09-23-2006, 09:43 AM,
Re: 3 weeks in the Philippines
Any and all are welcome to dive for the first three weeks in Feburary. Heres the rub, you buy your own way. ;D
09-23-2006, 09:33 PM,
I hear there's
Pythons in the
Philippine waters,
Gentlemen...
>Big Grin
09-27-2006, 06:52 PM,

There certainly when I was diving commando there!

I'd love to make the trip with you Kirk, but I think a trip back there is going to take another year of saving. I prefer to have cash in hand for those things and credit cards are not something they understand there very well. Tip a San Mig or two for me when you get there. And if some one offers you balut or durian, make sure you're damn drunk before you try them. My stomach is still queasy from them. To give you an idea of how queasy barbecued chicken intestines were not bad.

And don't worry about wtdrm trying to hitch a ride, I know his wife and she'd never let him go there without her keeping him in line. I don't think she trusts him with all the pretty girls there  :o :o :o :o :o
Cary
09-28-2006, 06:43 AM,
If you are going to Palawan  you can try the northern part. The Coron-Busuanga area. When the US forces started their push to eliminate the Japanese form the Philippines, they discovered some ships in that area and sank them.

There is a pretty good story about these ships getting discovered by US Navy planes. Navy planes were coming back form a mission and were flying over the area on tehir way back to their carriers/landing strips on a regular basis. Some pilots noticed over time that some of the silands in the area were moving. So they were sent on a mission to figure out what was going on. They discovered the moving islands were ships that were camoflaged as islands. The US Navy sank most of them . The Japanese salvaged most of the material from the sunken ships.

These wrecks were just discovered by divers in the mid 80's. I got to dive them in 1993. I spent a week on a live aboard boat parked in the area and doves 8 different wrecks. What was amazing about that year was I was in Truk Lagoon 3 weeks later. The difference between the wrecks was the Japanes in Truk did not have much time to slavage anything of their ships. By the time the US Navy was in the Philippines the Japanes were desperate and could not afford to lose any material.

Just south of the Coron area, is the El Nido resort area. El Nido has 3 resorts in the are and they are all pretty good. Just make sure that you chek their facilities and pick the one that fits your style. In the 80's the proimarily catered to the Japanese. They now cater to the Chinese, Korean and local Filipino divers. If you are used  to Caribbean resorts, some of their faclites may be too rustic for you. That doesn't mean they don't have nice posh resorts. The do have Amman Pulo which is rated one of the best island resorts in the world. Very expensive.

If you are going to Palawan, try to hook up with a live aboard that can take you to the Tubataha area. It is one of the best dive sites in that country. The jumping off point for the live aboard boats is at Puerto Princesa, the capital of Palawan.

If this is the first time to travel to that country, the diving is great, the food is delicious, the beer (San Miguel) is tasty, the people are welcoming, if you get to see it, the Night Life is great too.

All this from a diver  who was born and raised there,
Jim Campos

PS. A local will get local prices, a "Kano" will think he is getting local prices because he is made to believe that he is getting the local prices. Been there done that.
09-28-2006, 06:12 PM,

A Kano with a local is more likely to get the local price or close to it. But even better to hide around the corner and let the local get it for you. Unfortunately its very hard to do when you're taking a Taxi. For some reason most have a broken meter when the white guy hops in it.
Cary